D6C + DFW = will it work?

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
akarso

D6C + DFW = will it work?

Post by akarso »

I have an opportunity to buy freshly overhauled D6C engine without loom and ancillaries. I want to swap it with my DFW, retaining ECU, loom, lambda sensor etc. from DWF and block, head, sensors from D6C.

Will it be "best of both worlds", or is there any possibility that somehow these elements won't match? Lambda sits in the exhaust, so it shouldn't be a problem, but what about knock sensor? Is there a mounting point on D6C block for it? Or may I discard it altogether??
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

Engines are the same, just the EFI are diffrent..
akarso

Post by akarso »

surjit25 wrote:Engines are the same, just the EFI are diffrent..
well, not quite the same, if it was the case I wouldn't bother, do I? :wink:

different compression ratio thanks to different pistons, different cam timing (pulleys no. 2 and 4 in D6C, no. 3 in DFW), knock sensor, lambda, wiring, ECU...

One thing that I am concerned most is knock sensor, I guess I will just buy the engine (pistons alone are worth it) and see if there is any place to fit it. If not, I will just leave the socket unplugged - I guess no signal = everyting OK for ECU in this case.
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

The knock sensor fits on the front of the engine - if the ECU expects to see one then you need to either install it or fool the ECU into thinking the lambda value is in range all the time to stop it retarding the ignition.

It's been a while since I had my lambda sensored 16V but I would imagine there's an identical place on a non-cat 16V to bolt the knock sensor to.
akarso

Post by akarso »

Adrian E wrote:It's been a while since I had my lambda sensored 16V but I would imagine there's an identical place on a non-cat 16V to bolt the knock sensor to.
thnx, if that's the only potential problem then I guess this D6C is quite a bargain, especially since it's 1kkm after rebuild 8)
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

I've recently 'converted' an engine without a knock sensor to one with, its rather easy. Remove bolt holding knock sensor onto front of donor engine (bolt also holds one of the bottom end bearing housings in place i think), remove same bolt on new engine, affix knock sensor with DONOR engine bolt, tighten to exactly the specified torque. Job done. Very simple!
akarso

Post by akarso »

Vanny wrote:Job done. Very simple!
thnx, Vanny

One more question - why on earth did they decide to lower compression ratio in DFW? I know it was problably some sort of eco stuff, but didn't another mapping came along with lower compresion? If so, won't it be a problem?
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

very slight ratio decrease, I have used the engine on a cat'd system with no
drama's, so it can be used safely.