Broken battery clamp - what are my options??

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Broken battery clamp - what are my options??

Post by Daniel B »

Hello gents,

long time no speak!

went to start the BX today, and saw the alarm light was out, popped the bonnet, to remove the battery clamps (that go onto the positive and negative terminals) and one of them (I forget which but the one nearer the front) has snapped, as in the actual ring that goes around the clamp, and so now there is no way to tighten it up :cry:

It will be up for an MOT next month, which could be a bit of a pain, as the Tax is also up at the end of April, so if I have no MOT, I will need to SORN it.

Presumably this is something a proper garage with the right tools could remedy, but I'm just not sure how I am going to get it there.

I'm not seeing an easy way to start it, and even if I do start it, I remember trying to drive it before once the alternator belt had broken and the battery was completely discharged - it was quite the juggling act to keep the car from stalling whilst waiting at traffic lights etc etc

Any advice chaps??

Cheers

Dan
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hey man, replacement clamps are less than a fiver from halfrauds and as easy to fit as wiring a plug. thats what i would do. you need nothing more than a pair of grips and a screwdriver.

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
akarso

Re: Broken battery clamp - what are my options??

Post by akarso »

Daniel B wrote:Any advice chaps??
battery clapms can be bought in supermarket
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

Thankyou gents,

just got back from a successful trip to the local motorfactors :-)

Dan
NZ16v
3000 rpm

Post by NZ16v »

make sure you solder the hell out of the new one-ie no dry joints- when you attach them back onto the leads! As any loss of current from either the + or - terminals will have you crawling all over the car trying to figure out what the hells wrong with her! Also, spray the blue electrical protectant on the terminals too, just to be sure. TOO MANY supposedly complicated electrical issues with frogs can be traced back to monkeyed about battery terminals!!!!
Would rather be driving ONE 16v,than fixng TWO.
Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

Second that, i bought a brand new battery for when i first built my car up, turned the key and the starter turned over as if the battery was dead! checked everything to then find out it was just a dodgy earth. Fingers crossed it starts now Dan!
Toddman
Administrator

clamps

Post by Toddman »

Hi Dan
Oddly enough I have just come in from a second day of working on my silver valver and just fitted a new O.E. earth lead and clamp - I was lucky enough to pick up one in a local main dealer clear out 8)

However on my white one I fitted a lovely pair of clamps from Demon Tweeks with nice triple fittings for the auxilary wires and as said a good solering is essential.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

Thankyou chaps,

whilst I was on holiday my good friend and co-owner, Darren, went about fitting the battery clamps - he changed both, and she now starts perfectly - off for her MOT on Tuesday :shock:

Cheers

Dan
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

And just for coincidences sake, mines been internitently cutting out going round RH bends for a year now and I've just ignored it, But it got really annoying at the weekend so pulled over and started waggling things to find which it was, - that very same dodgy battery cable, allways been a bit crummy but never stopped it starting, just manages to loose contact when swinging right, weird, cured it witha self tapper untill I can be Ar***d to fit a spare :lol:

Those terminals are crap, and I'd never leave one in that state on a customers car!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

How did she get on Dan, do you have ticket for another 12 months :?: :D

Mike P.
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

Hi Mike,

yes we have a new 12 months ticket as of today :-)

Just bought 12 months tax for £205 too :?

Cheers

Dan
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

Congrats on the MOT!
And don't worry too much about the tax, I pay £960,- per year.
Thankfully my insurance is rather cheap wwith £380,- per year all-risk.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter ->I just love my 16V<-
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

Thanks Meccuchio!

That is a seriosu road tax bill :shock: - I will count myself lucky :D

Cheers

Dan