Valver won't start

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Matt H
Tick Over

Post by Matt H »

It's not silly... I genuinely don't know what the problem is, but I now have three ECUs and none of them work.

When I fit the old ignition amp, I get no spark from the coil at all, and when I fit the crappy intermotor one it sparks once... So I really just need to compare with another known good unit. Last time I rang a Citroen dealer to ask for a price it took a lot of faffing about, until I got a price of £83 + VAT, which I would be happy to pay if I knew it would be the end of it.

If this doesn't help I'll get one guy I know who will trace the electrical problem... Only problem he lives in Blackpool, and I think I should really make a few more attempts myself before resorting to that.

It would actually help having another BX to swap parts with until I find the problem... but maybe that would be overkill :lol:

The AX is a bit scruffy to look at, but an absolute joy to drive. I agree with you on the driving position, it is a bit odd, but you soon get used to it. I bought a full set of Michelins for it, in the original 165/65/13 size, rather than opting for wider tyres, because it's so beautifully balanced as it is I didn't want to spoil the feel.

I took it to a RWYB a couple of weeks back and did a 17.3 @ 79. I wasn't embarrassed by that after seeing the times posted by some more powerful 106s/corsas etc :wink:
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

17.3 ain't anything to shout about, I got 17.2 in a 1.4 Saxo :P AX GT should be looking at mid 16's, so keep trying mate! :lol:

Anyway, have you looked at the PDF file located in the downloads on this very site? Get a multimeter and crack on....I went through the whole thing when mine had an issue. Whats the crank sensor looking like? If the pump gets a bit leaky LHM doesn't work wonders on the top of that sensor! Wouldn't explain the sparking just the once scenario, but worth checking.

I've got various spares here anyway mate, you're welcome to try any of them.
Matt H
Tick Over

Post by Matt H »

I wasn't shouting about it Kitch... :lol: I thought it performed admirably. The way it takes off is the most impressive, and the gearing is spot on for 1/4 mile. If it wasn't so original I'd stick a VTS engine in it.
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Sticking a VTS engine in the Saxo VTR has made it able to annoy the valver, so god knows what'd be like in an AX! Especially an early mk1
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

completely OT but does any one know if the guy on the old forum ever did get the Mi in his ax??
the guy at the garage i used to use had an Mi in his visa gti! that and a 1.6 be box said it was Mental! AX is a bit lighter than that iirc so would be silly mental!!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

[OT]

To my knowledge only one company in the UK has ever D6C'd an AX and that car has since been dismantled. Theres a grass-track one overseas (or at least there was)
I'm building an AX track car next year, I'm in two minds whether to play safe and use the VTS lump, or whether to spend bloody ages cutting, shutting and welding and fit a BX 16v lump to it. I've seen one in a mk1 106, and it's tight. The AX engine bay is slightly smaller than that!

We'll have to wait and see what happens when I sell the Tiv!

[/OT]
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

there was a car from pugperformance that put the gti-6 lump and box ina 106 so i suppose its the old saying 'Anything is possible with enough money'!! got a lot of stick as they didnt weld a stop on the rack yto begin with so the passenger side wheel would hit the end of the box, and mini roundabouts were a definate No lol! i think it ended up on ebay after the owner had his fun with it??
i knew you were well regarded in the ax circles so though you would know if it ever happened!!
i remember something about it being a project as and when, but when the old forum died he didnt rejoin,
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hey man, ive previously had the issues you have and they drove me nuts for ages. so because of this im willing to help you. pm me your address and i'll send you an origional coil pack and a bosch module for the purpose of diagnosing your issues, but i will need them back asap. my money on your coil pack. my car wont even start on an intermotor coil but runs perfect on the origionalz? cheers, rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
daaristieweer,wiedurft
Tick Over

Post by daaristieweer,wiedurft »

I would try the ignition switch.......
Searched and searched before..... It was after cleaning the engine out, and sometimes there was no voltage to the coil....
Seemed that the cable from the ignition switch to the coil (2.5-4.0 mm yellow cable)had little burned out, and the weakest point is the ignition switch.

Good luck!
prm
Tick Over

Post by prm »

Matt,

I would lay money on it, or go back to my knitting.

CAS, or the connections under the battery or to the ECU.

Might be worthwhile checking the resistance about 500-550Ω.

AC voltage, about 4 volts output cranking,

Got the wool ready

Regards
Matt H
Tick Over

Post by Matt H »

Hi Guys,

I've just checked back here after too long :oops:

Sorry for not replying... I've been really busy at work, with a holiday in the middle of things.

The thing is, my auto-electrical skills don't really extend beyond wiring in car stereos :roll:. When I get paid, I'll be bringing in a pro (who one of my Dad's best mates, and knows BXs), who will find the fault. I'm moving towards thinking it is an earthing problem, after the loud shorting sound from under the bonnet when I was under there a few weeks back.

Been having a bit of bad luck with cars recently, including this BX, which have just been eating cash. The last couple of months has been about trying not to make any massive outlays on small French hatchbacks... But 'tis difficult :P

Matt
RobC
3000 rpm

Post by RobC »

I had a dodgy earth from the module and it caused the same symptoms, though mine was more sporadic because occasionally it was fine - but wasn't fun when it decided to cut out at 90 in the fast lane!

I spliced into the earth wire of the module and ran a wire direct to the battery - no problems since :)
Matt H
Tick Over

Post by Matt H »

Hi everyone,

Just had a quite horrible thought about this...

Is it possible that my timing might be out, due to the cam belt slipping? If so is there any easy way of telling?

Cheers,
Matt
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Only way to check is to pull the top cover off the belt and check whether all the cam timing pins will fit in their respective holes without any issues.

One tooth is usually enough for valves to meet pistons, so it's doubtful it's that.

You could try a compression test to see if it's missing most of it on one or more cylinder? Would indicate a bent valve.
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

I'm a tad bladdered, and can't be arsed to read back through all this, but, I thought you had no spark?
In which case cam timing is irrelevant, since the CAS tells the ECU where the engine is cycle.
Even if it had skipped all the teeth in the world you'd still get a spark.
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1971 BL 350FG Ambulance (unique)
1993 Dennis Lance 132
That's when I reach for my Revolver