XU9J4 Oil Control

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
cammmy
Tick Over

XU9J4 Oil Control

Post by cammmy »

Hey Guys

I put up a short article on the NZ french car forum about oil control in the J4's. I think everyone might find it useful.

http://www.fastfrogs.co.nz/index.php/to ... 7.html#new

Let me know if people can't see it and i'll put it up in full.

Ta
Cam
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

Can't see :cry:
Now listen here you mullet...
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

need to register to view, so a copy here would be useful, thanks :D
cammmy
Tick Over

Post by cammmy »

I thought I would put up an article about sump modifications on XU9J4's (Some of this should work on XU10J4's too)

I'm not going to go into massive detail as it is all pretty simple, more information is available on Peter's webite below. If you need anything explained more clearly or would like any other info, don't hesistate to PM me. I'm always happy to help.

Guys in the UK are probably better off ordering everything as parts and having the work done locally. I just had Peter do mine as shipping to Aus from NZ isn't too bad.

This is my list of recommended mods.

Everything listed below (bar the sumps) is supplied by PeterT

http://www.taylor-eng.com/

1: XU9 Alloy sump from 8v A/C equipped DFZ engine, with after-market baffle or Alloy XU10 sump (pre-baffled).

The after market baffle is taller and will probably work better under very hard cornering, however the pre-baffled sump is still good and will reduce the cost.

With the spacer from the XU9 motor the sump capacity will be increased to 6.5L (Remember to keep the standard bolts as you will need them. the bolts from the XU10 sump won't fit as they are too short)

Also ensure you get the pump baffle. This bolts onto the oil pump.

Make sure you let Peter know which sump you are using as the pump baffle comes in three shapes.

2: Extended oil pickup. PeterT provides an aluminium extension ring that brings the oil pickup deeper into the new sump, this will help prevent the pickup being uncovered.

3: XU10 relief spring and pump sprocket/chain. This will increase oil pressure to 6 bar and the sprocket/chain swap will provide extra flow.

The peugeot part numbers for these are

Chain - 103310
Sprocket - 0513.54
Spring - 1157.11

4:Windage tray. This can be fitted to the XU9 sump spacer and reduces windage (drag on the crank), the higher the RPM the bigger the gain :-)

Windage Tray - 1047.17

Peter can supply everything as parts or perform all the work for you. You will have to send your bits to Aus (No big deal, that's what I did)

There are other goodies on his website.

http://www.taylor-eng.com/
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500
cammmy
Tick Over

Post by cammmy »

Also VERY IMPORTANT. Make sure the hole for the dowel (that locates the spacer) in the later model sump flange is big enough to actually fit the dowel. Mine wasn't and I cracked the sump For some reason the hole is smaller on the later sumps and unfortunately I didn't know this.
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500