hydraulic handbrake for the rear wheels

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

Ah then you haven't seen a xantia wagon rear caliper they are bigger , use bigger brake pads, discs,prob is the screw hole spacing is further apart
, you can use the whole arm in a BX but the anti roll bar is diff. also the screw hole spacing of the ARB is further apart.
CX wagon too has diff calipers, but BX wagon not sure as they were never brought in here...
I have all the diff arms with me, cx , xantia, xm S/W's and saloons too.
I was trying improve my BX brakes at the rear coz I m using xantia S/W
frt disc and calipers up frt which are too powerful.
prm
Tick Over

Post by prm »

Couple of other possible suggestions. One would be to install a total independent hydraulic braking system.
A push rod type master cylinder mounted adjacent to the existing hand brake, with a rally type vertical operating lever, obtains a far higher degree of brake modulation. A conversion I’ve used to replace old type cable rear brakes
Oldish type master cylinders, bulkhead fitting unit, with 2 securing bolts, are easily mounted on a sturdy angled floor bracket incorporating the main lever fulcrum point.

With a BX…. Hydraulics for this system could be tapped into the existing lines, bypassing the brake valve. 3 way shuttle valves on each wheel, which should??? give priority to the cars normal braking system due to the higher pressure. You may encounter a slight back feed at the master cylinder at change over point. A free venting return pipe, attached to the cap, then connected to the LHM tank should work.
Also check the master cylinder main body and any fluid container are able to withstand the normal BX hydraulic pressure.

A second possible option. A separate high pressure line fed to a 3 way lever operated brake valve, again, hydraulics with shuttle valves.
Would recommend a lever operated system rather than electrical. But, you may find a very course form of brake modulation as Vanny mentioned with this system. Electrical solenoid vales are either full pressure on, or-off.
The exhaust port on the main brake lever valve can return any excess fluid direct to the LHM tank.
You may require an inline pressure regulator, prior to the main valve with this system to give priority too the std. braking system.

Running the system through the HC,??? ….I don’t know??? You might end up with a trapped or a slow returning signal??

Brake bias could be obtained via in-line pressure regulators on the hydraulic system, no doubt preset prior to any races.
Variable systems can be constructed with electrical change-over solenoid valves/regulators…... But the cots???????

Best of luck………… Lets us know how you get on.

Regards