Replacement Gear Linkage

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
phil.slater1
Tick Over

Replacement Gear Linkage

Post by phil.slater1 »

Hi All,

Stewart Baker of BakerBM is looking into a replacement gear linkage kit with rod ends.

He told me a NZ chap had enquired and he was in the middle of investigating putting together a set for the 16V BX.

My gear linkage is very slack so i'm interested. My thoughts are that its easier to buy one sorted than have the car off the road while I work out all the bits I would need.

I have no association with BakerBM except I have bought his products, also friends with racing Peugeots are happy with his mod. kits.

Anybody else interested could possibly speed up his progress.

PhilS -
:lol:
PS
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

I think the 405 Mi16 ones are the same Phil. I know the 205 ones are different (the small one is the same, the big one is different in length) but I think the 405 ones are the same and readily available.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Are you talking a rose jointed kit or simply 'new' linkages? New linkages can be bought from citroen, there the same as one of the xantia's but have the later style rubber damping in them.
phil.slater1
Tick Over

Post by phil.slater1 »

Hi, Im interested in a more positive linkage. Mine is really slack.

I can get the gears easily enough but the gate is huge.

Also in my driving position the gearstick is forward a long way.

I thought the bottom of the stick might be able to be bent back so the top in 50 to 75 mm further back.

PhilS
PS
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

sounds more like you want short shift rather than linkages.
cams16v

Post by cams16v »

Hi There

I'm the guy in NZ who has inquired regarding the gear linkages. Mine were slack for some time until one day it just popped off. The nylon rose joints on any bx 16v of this age will be getting close too. We have had many members down in NZ have the same thing happen. I can not send a set to Stewart as I'm using car quite often. Any one that can help Baker BM would be mucho appreciated.

Kind Regards Cameron
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

BE1 or BE3 linkages? And do you need the whole set (ie everything on that page)?

I have a set of long levers i think in the garage (items 2 and 1) for the BE3 gearbox (down and right for reverse).
cams16v

Post by cams16v »

Be1 gearbox at this stage
Just Parts 2,3 and 4 would need to be dropped off to Baker BM so that they could be made up with new rose joints. And once finished can be given back to you. Basically Baker BM would do up a set of three, pretty much the same he has at the moment for the 205 gti.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

the basic linkages (3 and 4) are fundamentally the same as the 205, you just need the dimensions which are shown in the citroen part catalogue.

They are quite easy to make, and the parts should be readily available, you might want to consider having them made locally (to NZ) as i imagine the costs for postage will be quite high.

I don't know if the BE1 short links (3 and 4) are the same as the BE3, but the long links ( 1 and 2) are deffinately different. Could you measure the ones you currently have, from centre to centre?
cams16v

Post by cams16v »

I thought that (3 and 4) looked the same but was unsure as I don't have the 205 catalogue. As long as the lengths are the same?
Yes they are still available through Citroen Dealer but I can assure you that 3 rods through cit with still the same nylon problem is more expensive than the upgraded version.
Im happy for Baker BM to make them and pay the postage :D
You should have no problems with Part number 1 I hope? but I will measure part 2 from centre to centre
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Like a said a few posts back i only have the long levers for the BE3, so i don't think it is of any use to you!

I didn't mean buy the linkages from citroen, i meant buy the piece of stainless bar, cut a thread onto either end (one left, one right handed, extra long thread) then buy the caps from a fixings store (usually only a couple of £ each). You should be able to make them up, and buy the left handed die, for far less than you will get charged buying in the UK and shipping.

edit

look at this site for example;
http://www.vardhmanbearings.com/ball_point.htm

Better still, i've had dealings with these people and they where pretty good from memory;
http://www.springfix.co.uk/products/lin ... joints.htm