Crap running! Again (And cured)

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
ollie
4000 rpm

Crap running! Again (And cured)

Post by ollie »

Grey shed running nicely as previously reported untill yesterday, when it started running on 3 cyls under load, which was most of the time as I was bringing the trailer up the motorway!
Whipped injector leads off to identify cylinder, No4, whip out plugs all Clean and non fouled, but look a little rich, put back some normal ones single electrode and alls well again! leads and cap all checked OK.
Also though I'd take the oportunity to check Adrians point on injectpor pattern so whipped out the rail and fitted it up to a spare pump and Outboard fuel tank, fired each one separately - perfect patterns! have reset mixture down slightly on airflow meter and runs OK.

Hope the plug thing is all, but will stick to single electrode in future rather than bothering with triples! these had only been in for 400 miles.....

Have some photos of my rather dangerous looking injector test rig
Toddman
Administrator

pics

Post by Toddman »

Ollie just go to somewhere like photobucket.com and get a free account.
You can then upload pics from your pc to their site and they will give you a set of codes and if you copy and paste the IMG code into your post the pic will appear.

If you use the http code for example you will just get a link in your post which people can click on to see the pic which is handy if th epic is huge.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

I should perhaps note that no responsibility can be taken for anyone producing such a setup and using the sparks from the battery to ignite themselves or there surroundings.....
Toddman
Administrator

creation

Post by Toddman »

Hmm the A-Team and flame thrower springs to mind :shock:

Cheers
Luke
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

nice one ollie! looks like the sort of thing i would do then get ball ache from the wife about what would have happened if blah blah blah! loL!
interesting ont he single electrode plugs! mine will only run like a bag of poo on them!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Toddman
Administrator

plugs

Post by Toddman »

Could it not be that the triple electrode plug that was causing the trouble could have been faulty i.e. cracked porcelaun or something?

Cheers
Luke
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

Could be, do occasionally get faulty NGK....... can't identify which one now tho :D
Doesn't idle as well on the singles but at leass it runs, and it has run on them for the previous 3 years, maybe I'll be brave next service and try the others again or get some proper eyquem.
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

Can you still get Equeym over there? There was a guy selling them off for a couple of A$ each a while back, naturally I didn't bother getting any :roll: and a few months after when the topic of plugs was raised, we were told they have been bought out by Beru and the French brand name is no longer used which might be because they had as much trouble spelling it as the rest of us.:shock: :oops:

Alan S
Toddman
Administrator

plugs

Post by Toddman »

Not sure on that score Alan but I just gave Jez a set of double electrode EQ jobbies and his car seems to like them :D

Ollie I run Splitfires in mine and I do notice the difference on starting with them compared to the NGK triples the latter make starting very easy.

Cheers
Luke
Last edited by Toddman on Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Ollie, how did you reset the mixture?

Was it the idle mixture you are referring to?

My BX's motor is running very nicely, but the exhaust smoke stinks.
Not got an exhaust analyser. I suspect it is too rich.

I swapped the AFM, but cannot adjust it lean enough.

I suspect the idle setting potentiometer is faulty in both AFMs, I need to check them properly.
Must check the temp sensors too.
Any other ideas?

Mike
Toddman
Administrator

mixture

Post by Toddman »

Mike E (uk) wrote:Ollie, how did you reset the mixture?

Was it the idle mixture you are referring to?

My BX's motor is running very nicely, but the exhaust smoke stinks.
Not got an exhaust analyser. I suspect it is too rich.

I swapped the AFM, but cannot adjust it lean enough.

I suspect the idle setting potentiometer is faulty in both AFMs, I need to check them properly.
Must check the temp sensors too.
Any other ideas?

Mike
Might be worth checking the ecu Mike if yiu are still runing a chipped ecu that may well be causing the rich mixture - worth a shot anyway.

Cheers
Luke
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

Am still working this out - see other thread on adjusting rthe cogged wheel in the AFM - don't do it unless you have access to rolling road or a wide band llambda to stick up the pipe and watch whilst under load.

mine still isn't quite right either can get idle good but not at same time as part throttle crispness - guess its overfuelling too!