supercharging and turbocharging

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
badlyworntoy
3000 rpm

supercharging and turbocharging

Post by badlyworntoy »

Anybody Know the ins and outs ad pros and cons of running turbos and superchargers together :?

Looks like ive bagged a Audi Quattro KKK turbo set up on a Mi16 manifold.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

compound charging!!

cant offer any help other than a few of the modern manufacturesrs are doing so to get around emmisions rules etc. save a bit of weight by using small engnes, cheaper tax??
back in the days a coupl eof the rally themed cars were onto it, and i 'think' that lancia might have done one?? remember discussions on a different french forum about compound charging, Luke knew a fair bit about it!
some Big power to be had if done right!!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
badlyworntoy
3000 rpm

Post by badlyworntoy »

Yeah thats it Compound charging.I know a guy from weston-super-mare thats done it on a MI16 engine and he claims it worked. I've bought the turbo setup off him but not the supercharger as ive already got the Rotrex.He says it took him 10 years to get it all to work properly,He seems like quite a helpful chap so hopeully should be able to take his technology and adapt it slightly to work on the BX.Ive done a lot of research on this and on paper it doesn't look like it will work as you would think the Turbo would blow the supercharger to bits.Im realiably informed however that it does and the power it produces is imense and much more linear than you would expect. :wink:
phil.slater1
Tick Over

Post by phil.slater1 »

Hi,
I am sure the Group B Lancia Delta had a turbo and supercharger.
It wailled like a banchee in the forests.
As you also said, VW are now doing it on their TFSI engine.
(I think that is the name).

PhilS
PS
cammmy
Tick Over

Post by cammmy »

Delta S4 was twin charged. 'bout 480hp from a 1.7 straight 4

Theory is to have ultimate power with ultimate response. The supercharger provides power instantly which allows you to use a more efficient turbine housing on the turbo (without suffering from massive lag). When the supercharger begins to run out of puff the big/more efficient turbo should be spooled up and ready to take up the slack.

Rotrex's increase boost with RPM. I'm not sure if that's ideal for this setup. Would think you would want maximum boost from the charger down low as the turbo is going to take up the shortfall once the RPM's climb.

I imagine to really make use of the potential you would be looking at some very expensive internals and also a rev limit of 8,000+. Otherwise a well suited turbo or Rotrex on it's own should be able to provide plenty of power most of the way through the range?

Keen to see how you design this though. Serious potential
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500