Heater matrix removal

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
phil.slater1
Tick Over

Coolant & Flow - General

Post by phil.slater1 »

Hi,

In a new technical topic - Additional Engine Cooling.which I wrote earlier.

I think removing the hoses to the heater matrix would be beneficial from a track day maintenance point of view.

Obviously you loose the heating, which Im not pleased with.

But, you get much better access to the exhaust manifold, and lots of other things.

In the other topic i am after more engine cooling so removing the heater matrix will immediately reduce its help. (Ive never seen one so dont actually know how big it is).

As before, has anyone done this, can it be done?

Now just so you all know Im mad, is there a 12V heater i could use to remove ice from the interior of the car in winter. My car is kept in a workshop always. I was thinking of only 150 to 250 watts to keep the amperage down, and only run it when the engine was running.

As before - Has anybody removed this or know what percentage extra cooling you can get from the heater matrix.

Regards PhilS
PS
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

I've bypassed a couple for people in the past that had failed a failed matrix as a get you home measure, and indeed, some ran like that ages, but, for athe sake of an extra pipe across the back of the engine I'll have a warm cabin!

You can pull A LOT of heat out of the engine via the heater, certainly 10° at least froma valver, and so much on a diesel the engine will be stone cold in winter at idle within 15 minutes even if it was at operating temp before throwing the blower on full blast.
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1971 BL 350FG Ambulance (unique)
1993 Dennis Lance 132
That's when I reach for my Revolver
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Dont remove the heater matrix on a racer, your reducing the radiating surface area of the system by 10% which might be fine on a road car, but it takes away any emergency spare when you need it! The number of times i've been saved by the heater core alone is pretty high.

You can get heaters, though you need a heater blower unless your going to add a PTC heater to the HVAC unit, which can be done on the BX, but it's not easy, and i have no idea if the plastic is up to it. I've used a little 12v ceramic heater/blower before now, but it was absolutely pants. The biggest issue is getting warm dry air to flow accross the screen. If its not dry, and it doesn't flow then you might as well blow cold air on it.

Some of the pug boys have managed to get 'electric' front screens as found on Fords. I'd certainly be interested in one, but i suspec tthe price would be in the £400+ range.
phil.slater1
Tick Over

Post by phil.slater1 »

Hi, Thanks for that. 10% is a lot when its getting hot.

Right i'll not be removing that then.

PhilS
PS