engine removal tip please

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
michael16v
Tick Over

engine removal tip please

Post by michael16v »

Hi All
I am going to remove the engine from the 16v over the Xmas period for a overhaul and fit my nice new red hoses :)
I have searched the forum for any tips on doing the removal and found some good ideas. I am after anyone else who has done this removal, and eventually refit, that is willing to share their "dos and don'ts tips/tricks with me.
The Haines book of Fairy Tales only gives me so much confidence :?
I will be fitting a refurbished and slightly modded (cam profile) head and some of your (U.K.) high compression pistons. As well as replacing any worn parts as required.
Will take a while, but I have a C5 and BX Estate to drive if I have to :)
Cheers
Michael
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Use a load leveller!

MachineMart

There are lots of versions, you don't need an 'active' one, but god they make life easier.

Personally i use a chain winch rather than an engine crane.
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

There are 2 ways either out the top with a high hoist and being carefull forwhich you need quite a good lift and that load leveller
or out the bottom which is generally easier.
And obviously take the engine and box out together.

In essence you start by taking the radiator out so you don't chuck a spanner through it, its not strictly necc but it make everything else much much easier to access so the job actually takes less time!

Once evrything is disconnected you attach crane to engine and take the load, then slacken mounts ready to lower very carefully, be sure not to bump the heater intake pipes or you'll have the dash out next...
and make sure the 2 curly hydraulic pipes are out the way first!
once engine is starting to go through subframe you will nneed to cant it back slightly to get the intake past the lower crossmember, if in doubt just remove intake before you start as its easy enough to get off.

Now you can jack car sufficiently to get the engine out from underneath, either dragging or on a trolley!
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

I took it out the top last time, but have gone underneath before too. Out the top was easier for me.

You can make a load leveller out of an old scissor jack 8)