Starter Motor Removal

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
cammmy
Tick Over

Starter Motor Removal

Post by cammmy »

Hi Guys

Just wanted to let everyone know that it's actually very easy to remove the starter on a BX 16v.

I read up on it and most people were saying to remove the inlet mani or bumper + radiator etc.

I just took out the rubber inlet peice between the airbox and TB + the crankcase breather pipe (at the crankcase). The rest of the hoses can simply be pushed out of the way when needed without having to disconnect them.

The starter itself fits easily through the gap in the bottom between the sump and rad (I have no A/C in my car though).

As it turns out, my issue was a relay in the alarm system though :roll:
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

the starter you had must have been one of the newer smaller ones as no way one of the Big old oles would fit out there! i tried and tried before having to wip the inlet off!
the smaller newer design ones are much easier to get in and out! i run a ZX TD one on mine as they are 1.1hp rather than 0.9 of the std one!(has the same amount of teeth)
that and a relay in the starting circuit and a big battery means Fires up Very quickly! 8)
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
cammmy
Tick Over

Post by cammmy »

It's one of these (pictured in the first post).

http://www.yankeefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23512
I took the plate of before trying to get it out though.

Has a relay in there that's part of the alarm. Fires up immediately (and I mean immediately) when cold.

So quick I hope oil is getting a chance to move around quick enough :?
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

oooh, is defo one of the std Huge ones!
try as i might, i couldnt get my old big one out!! the smaller newer style one was fine! although still pop yhr inlet off as makes it a less knuckle scraping job without a ramp! :wink:
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

How does a relay in the starting circuit help? Bit confused there!
cammmy
Tick Over

Post by cammmy »

Timmo. Did you unbolt the rear plate ferom the back of the starter before trying to get it out? Need to do that.

I don't know how the relay would help it fire quicker. I'm guessing it's just to disable the starter while the alarm is on.
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500
cammmy
Tick Over

Post by cammmy »

Timmo. Did you unbolt the plate from the back of the starter before trying to get it out? Need to do that, after that's off it's very easy to fit through the gap (again, I have no A/C lines in the way though)

I don't know how the relay would help it fire quicker. I'm guessing it's just to disable the starter while the alarm is on.
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

kitch, the idea with the relay is to give the starter the full 12v to fire and to remove any loss in voltage from old worn wiring, the relay mod's been a popular on in pug circles for Years, (had it done on my old 309 in the late 90's after the guys on what was then Psoc recommended it) and many of the specialests recommend it for getting a few extra months out of a starter when it starts clicking, is a very good mod to do, and very cheap too at a tenner for the relay(70amp i think mine is??),wiring and connecters,

cammy, yeah matey, the bracket was removed from the starter when i swapped the first one out and not replaced, the smaller ones weigh a lot less and such dont need the extra support from the back, (advice from the old andyspares forums!) mines non AC too,
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

That's a new one on me, I'd just put a new battery lead on it and have done with it. It'll only fail to get 12v or more if the battery cable is fubar'd!
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

That's a new one on me, I'd just put a new battery lead on it and have done with it. It'll only fail to get 12v or more if the battery cable is fubar'd!
cammmy
Tick Over

Post by cammmy »

Timmo wrote:cammy, yeah matey, the bracket was removed from the starter when i swapped the first one out and not replaced, the smaller ones weigh a lot less and such dont need the extra support from the back, (advice from the old andyspares forums!) mines non AC too,
I uh... Didn't put the bracket back though :wink:. My 4bie had the same starter (the one that's on the Valver now actually) and it didn't have a bracket (someone probably just left it off :lol:).
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500
RobC
3000 rpm

Post by RobC »

The relay mod is to give the full 12v to the solenoid, not the motor itself- he standard wiring sends the 12v feed to the solenoid via the ignition switch y'see... :)
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

RobC wrote:The relay mod is to give the full 12v to the solenoid, not the motor itself- he standard wiring sends the 12v feed to the solenoid via the ignition switch y'see... :)
Is the switch prone to burning out internally like the Xantia/Xsara heater supply setup then? Mine seems fine but always worth knowing incase!
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

Timmo wrote:oooh, is defo one of the std Huge ones!
try as i might, i couldnt get my old big one out!! the smaller newer style one was fine! although still pop yhr inlet off as makes it a less knuckle scraping job without a ramp! :wink:
Here all are A/c'ed so no way to remove from bottom, but I have done it by just removing the throttle body.
cammmy
Tick Over

Post by cammmy »

^Mine was AC'd :wink:
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500