bx 16v with a/c alternator

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
roderick3
Tick Over

bx 16v with a/c alternator

Post by roderick3 »

Hi all,

I'm planning a holiday in spain to go with my valver but now the following. My alternater light was gone today :( after using a multi-meter it shows it's perfectly charging my battery (13,4-13,8v). Then I turned the engine off again and pop there's the light again with ignition on.

two questions: should I replace the alternator or not? I've tested it several times and it shows it's correctly charging the battery. I'm going to drive next week +/- 3000kms.

next question: if you guys advise me to replace it. how can I get it out. It's a valver with a/c so there's no way I'm getting the alternator out downwards. Only way is up I guess...
bx 16v phase2 with original and working A/C and sunroof
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Sounds like a dodgey connection. If the battery light doesn't illuminate on ignition, the alternator isn't connected (or the exciter lead isn't). If it comes on while driving, it's connected but not charging (or not charging enough). And if the bulb in the dash fails, it won't charge at all.
roderick3
Tick Over

Post by roderick3 »

That was the first thought that crossed my mind: dodgy connection. It charges like it should. Even with all equipment using max power (aircon on, blower full, etc) it shows at idle 12,8V and if I rev it a little it nicely comes up to 13,4-13,5. Idle without excessive power use: 13,78V
Citroen dealer alternater tester showed it's in excellent nick. It's just that damn light ;) If I weren't going on holiday I would definately leave it sitting there....
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

Maybe a dodgy connection or even the alternator, run it daily from now and see if anything goes bust.

Carry a spare if you have too, its easy to replace so don't worry,
All the cars can interchange eg, Xantia, ZX , they all fit ,petrol models that is (8V XU)
roderick3
Tick Over

Post by roderick3 »

Thanks :) I'm currently posting from spain. All went well and the valver drives the mountes up and down like a dream. Alternator still charges like it should so I guess the connection was a little dodgy. Just curiousity: how do you replace it without taking the aircon compressor off the car? Guess the inlet manifold is in the way then?
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

remove all the brackets and it will come out with some persuasion,
no need to remove manifold.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

remember the bulb is in the circuit to the excitor. If it lights up, then the alternator isn't being correctly fed and will not be working correctly. The exception is if the bulb is dimly lit, this can be caused by dirt.

I've normally found the excitor wire to the alternator to become intermitently faulty, but not snapped, at the alternator.