Earths - Where are They

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
cammmy
Tick Over

Earths - Where are They

Post by cammmy »

Hey Guys. The cit won't get a WOF as the brake lights dim and brighten when the indicators are used. Would this be bad earthing? Where should I look?

I've also noticed that the dash lights dim and brighten when the indicators are used.
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

The rear lights earths are behind the units themselves, they often get iffy as the sunroof drains come down to the same place, 10mm nut i seem to remember??
Engine bay earths are battery to gearbox, battery to battdry tray to gearbox, battery to chassis in behind the battery corner area, and chassis to gearbox, isalso worth popping the battery out and cleaning up the multi block connector underneath and the other connectors in the engine bay, small wire brush is great for cleaning the pins up, then cable tie them back together!! Makes a good difference and worth the extra work to do!! [/code]
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Earth points are behind the rear light clusters as Tim has already said.

I rub down both the points on the chassis and the connections on the cables and lights and then copper grease everything.

This is a known fault on these cars, you can run additional cable between the 2 sides of the car to improve the wiring. Mike E has done this with success.

Mike P
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
cammmy
Tick Over

Post by cammmy »

Awesome, thanks. I'll have a crack at it this weekend :)
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

There was a technical bullet in on this back in the day. The fix there was to run an additional earth from the right hand rear light unit (looking from outside the car) to the body work. The tail lights aren't individually earth. The right hand earth is passes through to the left hand unit (though that link cable) and onto the body screw Timmo describes. I've seen it done in a hurry where people have used a self taping screw straight into the earth contact plate on the light cluster, and wired that to the body. Works really well but is rather unsightly.
cammmy
Tick Over

Post by cammmy »

Cleaned up the earths but the issue was still there. Disconnected all the plugs and cleaned with sand paper and brake cleaner. All sorted 8)

Now to change the rack boot. Bloody dealer sent me the L/H one when I asked for the R/H :x
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

My main dealer has made that mistake. The drawings for the part numbers are for left hand drive cars and you have to be specific :roll:

Mike P
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
cammmy
Tick Over

Post by cammmy »

^Yeah. They wanted about $40 for the one they sent me and then $140 for the drivers side!!!!!!!! They said they could drop it to $80. I ordered it from somewhere else for $37 and got a refund :lol:
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500