Just got my 16v going again

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
petwar
Tick Over

Just got my 16v going again

Post by petwar »

Hi everyone!

A while back I grew sick of my 16V as there were so much work to get it proper. And since I had another car that was somewhat problem free (an old -65 Amazon) I decided to let the 16V rest for a while... It's been sitting for a year now and I finally got the urge to get it back on the road! :) Said and done, I started it up (a few seconds on the starter and i roared like never before), drove it to work (a repair shop) and started the work...

What I've done so far is replace the hydropump-belt, the front suspension spheres, a broken parking brake wire and oil + filter. Just so I could get it to the MOT and start driving it again. The MOT went well, so now it's time to do the boring jobs...

The first thing is, the gear lever-mechanism is rubbish. It's like sturring a pot trying to find gears. I guess I need to replace the joints and bushes in the entire linkage, so I'm wondering if anyone has any good tips before I start? I'm also planning on extending the lower part of the gear lever which should make the positions of the gears closer.

The second thing is getting fifth gear NOT to disengage everytime I let go of the gaspedal... I think that when the engine "rolls back" it somehow pushes the gear mechanism out of place. Filling the holes in the lower engine mount with some PUR glue should stop the enginge from jumping about I think. All the mounts where replaced a few thousand miles ago, but that didn't make any difference...

Thirdly, I'll need to replace both drive shafts :( The joints are ticking while turning, and you can feel that they are unbalanced. Mostly during moderate acceleration in lower gears, the shaking is quite annoying. Is there a place in brittain where they have cheap drive shafts? Here in sweden it's about 450-500GBP for the pair. I bought spheres at aepdirect, and inclunding shipping it was still WAY cheeper than bying domestic. But unfortunatly they don't carry drive shafts for my car :(

And tips would be greatly appriciated! :)

Cheers!
Dave
3000 rpm

Post by Dave »

Hi,

Good to hear you have your 16v running, the jobs you did initially are not that bad to do.

The other jobs sound a bit more technical but I am sure there will be lots of help following from other members.

We have euro car parts here and they stock some, not sure of the quality. Q-drive do not get the best reviews.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/

We also have GSF (german sweedish french) car parts, you may want to have a look.

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/

Also the company below ship abroad

http://www.driveshaftstore.co.uk/?gclid ... tAod6lnNlg

Again, I am sure other help will follow.
Prefer it to the Lamborghini, like Signor Gandini!
petwar
Tick Over

Post by petwar »

Thanks a bunch! A complete driveshaft at driveshaftstore is less than half the price of a single CV joint here in Sweden... Can't believe how expensive parts are here when you start comparing!
petwar
Tick Over

Post by petwar »

Bad news, got hit by a lorry a week ago :( The asshole just kept going and I didn't even get the plates cause it was dead black and raining and no street lights... The front was crumpled on the right right and the headlight, indicator and bumper were smashed. The right front fender was a bit crumpled as well...

The good news is that the car is repairable. I went to a local citroen guru who had a used indicator and headlights on the shelf for £40 and I managed to straighten both the fender and the front chassie all by my self :) Today I've started repairs on the bumper (I picked up all the pieces after the collision) by using polyester and fibre glass mesh. I think I might actually get it to look good as new again...

I'll poste pics as soon as I'm finished!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Ouch :cry:

Mike P
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
petwar
Tick Over

Post by petwar »

Yeah, kinda sux :/
surjit25
4000 rpm

Re: Just got my 16v going again

Post by surjit25 »

petwar wrote:Hi everyone!

A while back I grew sick of my 16V as there were so much work to get it proper. And since I had another car that was somewhat problem free (an old -65 Amazon) I decided to let the 16V rest for a while... It's been sitting for a year now and I finally got the urge to get it back on the road! :) Said and done, I started it up (a few seconds on the starter and i roared like never before), drove it to work (a repair shop) and started the work...

What I've done so far is replace the hydropump-belt, the front suspension spheres, a broken parking brake wire and oil + filter. Just so I could get it to the MOT and start driving it again. The MOT went well, so now it's time to do the boring jobs...

The first thing is, the gear lever-mechanism is rubbish. It's like sturring a pot trying to find gears. I guess I need to replace the joints and bushes in the entire linkage, so I'm wondering if anyone has any good tips before I start? I'm also planning on extending the lower part of the gear lever which should make the positions of the gears closer.

The second thing is getting fifth gear NOT to disengage everytime I let go of the gaspedal... I think that when the engine "rolls back" it somehow pushes the gear mechanism out of place. Filling the holes in the lower engine mount with some PUR glue should stop the enginge from jumping about I think. All the mounts where replaced a few thousand miles ago, but that didn't make any difference...

Thirdly, I'll need to replace both drive shafts :( The joints are ticking while turning, and you can feel that they are unbalanced. Mostly during moderate acceleration in lower gears, the shaking is quite annoying. Is there a place in brittain where they have cheap drive shafts? Here in sweden it's about 450-500GBP for the pair. I bought spheres at aepdirect, and inclunding shipping it was still WAY cheeper than bying domestic. But unfortunatly they don't carry drive shafts for my car :(

And tips would be greatly appriciated! :)

Cheers!
I had some bushes being loose and worn too, had the short rods replaced but the 2 long rods from the gear lever were un-obtanium and very expensive if imported in so I have some NOS gear rods from a Pug 404, I cut out the bushes and pressed them back in the BX one and now they work beautifully , no slack at all and gears go in nicely.