205 engine mounts

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
frog
3000 rpm

205 engine mounts

Post by frog »

Are they the same as our 16 Valves engine mounts?

Would the uprated bakerbm 205 mounts fit?
http://www.bakerbm.com/205.php?data=engkitn205

They certainly look similar..
cammmy
Tick Over

Post by cammmy »

Yup. I have a set to going into my 405. You only get the rubbers so for the lower mount you have to press out the old one and then press the new on in.

I also got the GRP A fork bush which is the same as 405/BX
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500
frog
3000 rpm

Post by frog »

Thanks for that Cammy,

Also, I've never taken apart the BX gear linkages, are they similar to the 205's? Can any of the bakerbm 205 gear linkage rods or bushes be used to improve the BX?

http://www.bakerbm.com/205.php?data=bbush205linkage
http://www.bakerbm.com/205.php?data=bbush205gearstick
http://www.bakerbm.com/205.php?data=gearrods205
Last edited by frog on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
frog
3000 rpm

Post by frog »

I'd also like to know peoples thoughts on the GroupN mounts & GroupA bush in a car that is likely to not see the track.
I have a higher compression engine that is likely to go into the car at some stage. Would these mounts compliment the engine or just shake my fillings out at idle, or worse, potentially damage the chassis some where?
cammmy
Tick Over

Post by cammmy »

Can't comment on the mounts as I haven't used them yet. Would think they may be okay in a fast road car but could possibly get annoying in a daily driver. That's just a guess though.

Pretty sure the linkages are different.
'89 BX 16v
'91 Peugeot Mi16x4 x2
'74 Triumph TC2500
badlyworntoy
3000 rpm

Post by badlyworntoy »

Chris
You definatley want a solid aluminium lower engine mount even the group N ones arn't much tougher than standard.You can keep the standard fork bush.This will stop all the sloppy gear changes and the stick bouncing around with the engine.,thus also reducing gear selector wear.Makes a massive difference to the way the car drives of cource aswell
1991 Citroen Bx 16v phase 2
1972 Vauxhall Viva HC 16v C20XE
1993 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
1983 Vauxhall Chevette 2.0 Pinto
1991 Lada Riva (still having ideas)
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

It's all about damping really, all the rubbers reduce the vibration (and engine rotation) being transferred into the shell. In the case of racing, this initial wind up and absorption of the rubbers is meant to reduce throttle response. I've been in (but not driven) cars with both standard and solid bushings (same make/model of car probably a 205 at a track day or similar) and the only difference i could feel as a passenger is a bucket load more vibration in the solid bushed car.

I like the idea that it will help gear changes, but i'm very very keen to try out cable linkages and do away with the rods all together. Gonna go scrappy diving in March (warmer weather) and see what happens.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

if your looking to shorten the gear shift im pretty sure cutting 17mm iirc off one of the linkage arms will achieve that. there should be a write up with pics somwhere, sure it was johnny 205 that put it up.

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
frog
3000 rpm

Post by frog »

Hi guys,

Any chance that any of the following rose jointed gear linkages could fit and work in the BX? There had to be some cross over right?

205, 309, AX, Saxo, ZX, 405

http://www.constella.co.uk/index.php?pa ... Itemid=168

Cheers,
Chris
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

I think all bar one of the 405 linkages are different to the pugs. You probably need to measure the distance between the centres on your existing linkages, and then ask the company what there centres are. I suspect there will be enough adjustment in the rose joint to take out any small differences, and you still have to cut off your balls and drill holes for the nuts and bolts.

I'd also be very tempted to drill a hole through the bolt and wire lock them to stop the nut ever undoing. They might be nylocks, but they will be rather close to the exhaust at one end!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

205 engine top mount side buffersDO NOT FIT the BX!

Well, not straight out the of the box. The 205 ones have a single 5.5mm wide locator on the back (compared to the BX's full length side locator). Have a look at the image form the BakerBM site;

5 minutes with the drill, and I have a set of BakerBM Grp-N ones installed in my car.

I've got to say, at £5 each, they are absolutely the cheapest I could get a set, mean stealer doesn't stock them, and the local factors (all of them) want near £15 for the set.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

This is the buffer i've just replaced on mine,

Now i can't quite see why it would be knocking its nuts off, can you?
Matt H
Tick Over

Post by Matt H »

I'll post a picture of the one I changed a few months back... Makes yours look quite acceptable!

Funnily enough, couldn't get hold of any proper BX ones, so adapted one from a C15, which looks identical to that one, with the single peg on the back.