Starting greif anyone have any ideas?

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
badlyworntoy
3000 rpm

Starting greif anyone have any ideas?

Post by badlyworntoy »

The BX has been sat on axle stands in the shed for around 2 years now and after a full engine rebuild and a supercharger conversion she barked up first turn of the key,abeit several leaks and the cam timing being sligtly out.Now after been sat again for another several months I decided yesterday that it was Time to to drop it on the floor and fill the LHM tank connect the pump pully up and go through the hydraulics.....now with the engine running like a dream and barking up all day off the key with no problems.I had a leak on the accumulator sphere which was easily fixed,I then had fully functioning hydraulics .Anyway after leaving it overnight I expected to go to it this morning and again expect it to start with its usual urgency but all she will do is cough and splutter every few turns.I initially thought it was just out of fuel but adding 5 litres made no diffrence.I then went trough and checked all the usuall culprits.Plugs,Leads crank sensor Fuel supply and Dizzy cap etc and all apear to be ok.the only thing I'm unsure of is the Fuel pump, I can't hear it prime and come to think of it I can't recal ever hearing it .Any one have any ideas ? :?
1991 Citroen Bx 16v phase 2
1972 Vauxhall Viva HC 16v C20XE
1993 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
1983 Vauxhall Chevette 2.0 Pinto
1991 Lada Riva (still having ideas)
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

what sort of the starter do you have? the big fat older starter starts to turn slower as it gets older/worn and sometimes the ECU cant pickup the crank properly as a result. Either more power or a lightweight (zx onwards) starter might prove this out. Other wise earth leads, maybe a loose one hidden somewhere.
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

What he said ^^^^

Weird as it sounds, try charging the battery up fully if it isn't already. I had a similar thing with mine where it would run fine.....if you got it started. Turned out the battery had enough juice to crank the engine over nicely, but not enough to share enough current to the ECU and its various sensors (like the aforementioned TDC sensor) and basically it was telling the injectors to fire and the plugs to spark etc, but not quite at the right times, as the sensors weren't being completed accurate.

A fully charged battery and off it went. Weird, because normally when you get a flat(ish) battery the starter suffers and everything else is fine, because everything else draws so little in comparison.
Took bloody ages to figure it out, especially as it seemed ok cos it was turning over fine. Only found out with a multi-meter the battery was only good for 12.1v, and even less when cranking. Was only happy at 12.4v or higher!
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

^^^agreed, fully charged battery will make a difference. also i use xantia td starters as they spin much much quicker. although it does sounds like fuel starvation is another possibility.

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
badlyworntoy
3000 rpm

Post by badlyworntoy »

Guys
It turned out to be the plugs.I think with all the idling its been doing somethings gone a miss it started straight up after changing them.I can't beleive the price of BCP7ET's £3.25 +vat from GSF :shock:
1991 Citroen Bx 16v phase 2
1972 Vauxhall Viva HC 16v C20XE
1993 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
1983 Vauxhall Chevette 2.0 Pinto
1991 Lada Riva (still having ideas)
Dave
3000 rpm

Post by Dave »

badlyworntoy wrote:Guys
It turned out to be the plugs.I think with all the idling its been doing somethings gone a miss it started straight up after changing them.I can't beleive the price of BCP7ET's £3.25 +vat from GSF :shock:
I just saw this and was reading down ready to suggest plugs. That is what mine did a while back. Spent a good time messing about like you did too. I also found a split in a magnecor that was shorting but I think that happened after all the messing about.
Prefer it to the Lamborghini, like Signor Gandini!