standard ride height?

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
michael16v
Tick Over

standard ride height?

Post by michael16v »

I seem to have a higher than normal bum?? Well, my 16v has :lol:
I think the height of the rear of my 16v is higher than standard. Can someone let me know the correct ride height, and where it is measured please.
Thanks
Michael
Dave
3000 rpm

Post by Dave »

Hi Michael,

Looking at Haynes it reads 223 mm +10/-7 in normal position idling.
It is measured ground to axle crossmember tube.

The front is 166 +/- the same, ground to axle unit rear crossmember.
Prefer it to the Lamborghini, like Signor Gandini!
michael16v
Tick Over

Post by michael16v »

Thanks mate. I am a bit high; will have to look into why :?:
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

Too much herbal relief? :lol:
Now listen here you mullet...
Jayridium
Tick Over

Post by Jayridium »

most likely candidate is the rear height corrector - either sticking or possibly twisted on the anti roll bar.

I suggest jacking the car up, putting blocks under all four wheels so the car is effectively on stilts under its wheels, and...

:!: :!: ensure the car is sufficiently high that you can lie flat below the height of the tyres so if the car drops on its suspension you wont be crushed :!: :!:

Once the lifting is out of the way, start by measuring from the ground to the top of your blocks, then measuring from the ground to the back cross member, with the car on idle, and subtract your first number from the second to get your effective ride height....

Should the result be out of spec then undo the locking mechanism on the ARB for the convoluted linkage to the rear height corrector. Because I am opnly recently returning to the BX fold exactly how it connects is but a distant and long gone memory but I do remember its nothing horrible like criclips I seem to remember it being an allan bolt but I am not 100% on that.

Once you have freed it off, twisting it one way will raise the car, twisting it the other will lower the car - yet again memorys faded - however with the engine runningamd ypu tweaking that linkage and repeating your measurements you'll get it at the correct height and then secure the linkage, lower car, job done!!