Two problems, need help to keep my baby on the streets

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Joi
Tick Over

Two problems, need help to keep my baby on the streets

Post by Joi »

Hi guys.
I have encountered alot of problems for the past six months with my sweet BX 16 Soupapes. After reading the Forum thoroughly I'm forced to ask you guys for help...

Problem 1)
The exhaust pipe fittings broke down the other day. The whole pipe was hanging but I got that fixed at the garage. When that happened the exhaust chassis / manifold got sort of bended, and I couldn't afford a new one. The sort of shitmixed it at the time, but now I feel like the exhaust air comes in through the air condition again. I get a headache from driving without having the windows or sunroof open. Is it possible to do that manifold repair by yourself?

Problem 2)
The suspension has been acting strange. I bump around like there is no suspension in the car. Not a nice feeling after being used to the sweeeet rider of BX. There are not even 1 seconds between the dsjika-dsjika-drrrrrrrr sound that usually has been with a 10 second interval. I even think that sound comes just when I'm in standstill. The LHM liquid is way over the MAX sign in the container but that has never been a problem before. The car lowers when I park it and it goes back up when I start it so I'm not sure what's wrong. I've put the car in the highest position and screwed the Accumulator screw 1 1/2 rounds to let the air out, but that does not seem to be the problem. Do you think my Spheres are out? Or should I rather have the car in the lowest position to let the air out?

Hope you guys have any ideas.

Kindest regards,
Joi
Phase One BX 16 Soupapes
The last one in Iceland
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

I don't quite understand your first problem but your second is a bit easier to address:

Firstly, the screw does NOT let air out of th system, it simply reduces the FLUID pressure in the suspension. The suspension is of open circuit design meaning the fluid is used then returned to the tank. To remove any air you simply move the suspension all the way up and down (with the lever) a dozen times thus circulating the air out, otherwise known as Citrobics.

The noise you describe is the accumulator and what you say suggests the accumulator sphere (behind the radiator) is flat and needs replacing. Providing your power steering is working ok you can rule out the pump being at fault.
Now listen here you mullet...
Joi
Tick Over

Post by Joi »

Thanks for this Jay. I've never heard of Citrobics but I'm going to try that and releasing some pressure. If nothing works I'll buy a new sphere on Ebay. They seem to be relatively cheap...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suspension-Sp ... 278wt_1195

The former problem is a bit weird. I think the Exhaust Manifold is broken so part of the exhaust from the engine comes out under the bonnet, so I feel the air in the passanger department isn't very clean. Maybe it's because I need to change the Air Filter or something, but I suspect it's the exhaust because the faster I drive, the less "polluted" the air is.

Thanks for your time and tips! =)

All my best,
Joi
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

You can weld an exhaust manifold if there is a crack or hole in it.

I would first check that you have got a full and correct seal between the head and the manifold and the manifold and the downpipe flange.

Mike P
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

Joi, DON'T release the pressure screw unless you're actually doing work on the suspension. To operate normally it MUST be done up properly.

Only undo it if you're replacing any high-pressure parts (spheres, steel piping, accumulator, pump etc.).

As Mike says, check they've actually got the right seal on the downpipe flange, i've been supplied the wrong one in the past. Otherwise it IS likely to be a cracked manifold (not uncommon).

GSF are notorious for sending wrong parts so make sure they get a message from you to ensure it is an accumulator sphere they send you and not a normal one!
Joi
Tick Over

Post by Joi »

Okay guys. Thanks alot for the advice. I really appreciate it!

I'm no expert so it's great to be able to dig into your knowledge base!

All my best,
Joi
Joi
Tick Over

Post by Joi »

Hey guys. I got the Accumulator Sphere in the mail the other day (the right one =)

From somewhere I read that a chain wrench could be used as a sphere removal tool. I bought one but the chain is too big and does not fit around the sphere, it just goes sideways so there is no pull. After an 5 hour night trying to fix it I gave up.

Then I got an oil filter removal tool, with a ribbon instead of chain, but that one broke pretty fast. The sphere seems to be VERY stuck. The instructions I have from the BX site say that it can be hammered loose with an hammer and chisel. I don't have a chisel, but I'm going to buy one tonight and give it one last try. So frustrating to have a new sphere ready but not being able to take the old one off!

What is your experience with this? Have you tried the hammer and chisel method? The instructions say Counter Clockwise, is that correct?

Is there any other tool than the chain wrench that can be used as a sphere removal tool?

Best regards,
Joi
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

Anti-clockwise is correct. And the car must be fully lowered with the pressure-relief screw undone.

There are several methods to remove them, but being so close to the radiator you don't have a lot of space to play with.

You can try sharply striking the sphere with a decent hammer to break the seal, a couple of good stikes should do it. Then any chain/strap wrench should undo it. You have to bear in mind the accumulator is only held on by 2 m8 bolts and the radiator is right in the path of rebound so use caution with this method.

If you genuinely believe it's not going to come off then the last ditch method is drilling the sphere...