New member with racecar!

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Gary C
4000 rpm

Re: New member with racecar!

Post by Gary C »

Mungous wrote:So I have got me this stuff to fit:

Should stiffen up the handling a fair bit!
With the restrictions in the regs are you ok to run this set up? I assume you intend to run this instead of the original BX set up. Will you mate it to the original system?
Mungous
Tick Over

Post by Mungous »

Those brake pads were Bendix! I'd run them in gently too. And used new discs. I've got some Ferodo DS3000s to try next time out - here's hoping they last a bit longer! I have actually got a larger 288mm set of Xantia discs and calipers that should pretty much bolt up, but I wouldn't be allowed to run them in my class. And there are no performance pads available for these either.

The suspension is somewhere that I have some latitude - other cars are allowed to run any springs they want (but not coil-overs or adjustables), so I spoke to the race committee and they said this set-up is ok. I think if I was getting closer to the front of the field they would not have felt so generous...

It should mate up to the BX system pretty easily - the Peugeot has a electric pump controlled by an electronic height corrector to obtain self-levelling. The hydraulic pressure is fed to the single sphere by a pipe of the same diameter as the BX suspension pipes, although with a standard flare fitting instead of a Citroën-style rubber sleeve fitting. A custom pipe from the BX height corrector with the flare style fitting at the other end should sort that part of the system. On a 405, the sphere mounts on a bracket on the left side of the subframe - right where a BX has its exhaust. I may need to have some custom pipes to each cylinder made up, that way I can mount the sphere pretty much anywhere underneath.

Should be fun!
Mungous
Tick Over

Post by Mungous »

So anyway, this happened:

Aesthetics are the most important part of any race car, right?!
frog
3000 rpm

Post by frog »

Look great, Stickers, Paint, or vinyl? Just needs the red wing mirrors and the back done now (because most people will only see the back right?)
Mungous
Tick Over

Post by Mungous »

Vinyl. I'm taking the phased approach to this so that Mrs Mungous doesn't think I'm spending all her shoe money on making my car pretty...

I will be doing the full Superturisme eventually!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (68.16 KiB) Viewed 21670 times
frog
3000 rpm

Post by frog »

Did you have it put on professionally? That piece along the bottom of the front wing looks quite tricky to apply.
Mungous
Tick Over

Post by Mungous »

frog wrote:Did you have it put on professionally? That piece along the bottom of the front wing looks quite tricky to apply.
Yep - there's a lot of companies doing wrapping out there. Not sure I am 100% happy with the choice of fonts though, as I think the "O" in "TOTAL" is wrong!
Mungous
Tick Over

Post by Mungous »

Last weekend saw another round of my series, only this time it was more than a little bit damp. Pissing down would be another way to describe it.

This seemed to suit Whitey, however, as I managed to qualify about 18th of of 90 cars!

My in-car camera app decided not to record either qualifying or race 1, but I managed to get some of race 2: http://youtu.be/uMpzLiGBtFg

As you may be able to hear, there was some strange rubbing noises around right handers, so I popped into the pits to check it out. Couldn't see anything obvious so went back out to finish the race.

The DS3000s seemed to perform well, although the wet track means that they weren't all that stressed.

And a few pics as well:

Mungous
Tick Over

Post by Mungous »

Mungous
Tick Over

Post by Mungous »

Almost got Whitey looking the way I want - just need some nice white wheels...

RogerMoss

Post by RogerMoss »

Mungoeus wrote:Almost got Whitey looking the way I want one of these - just need some nice white wheels...

Cool, I like the white one. Do you still drive it?