Starter motors!!

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Timmo

Looks like the phase 1 is in need of a new starter - from your info should one from a '94 Xantia 2.0 8V fit OK?

Cheers

Adrian
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

adrian, as long as its got 10teeth matey it should be fine!! i know the xantia td ones have 11 teeth, but the petrol ones should be okay! if you can double check first!
the zx td one i have is cracking! has that little extra power to turn the engine that bit quicker!
if you havent yet adrian it may be worth adding the relay to the circuit to help with the starting! especially if your changing the starter anyways!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Cheers for the info mate

Am now slightly confused, after checking out the GSF site as it quotes the same number for BX 16V = ZX 8V petrol = Xantia 8V petrol (N90124)

It then lists a BX TD = ZX TD starter = Xantia D/TD (N90130)

but from what you're saying the Xantia and ZX starters should have different number of pinion teeth?!

My Dad's going to make a start on getting the motor out this afternoon, having ruled out earthing problems. Any easy way to test the motor directly without removing the inlet manifold to gain access to the wiring?!

Adrian
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

easiest access without lift is Rad out which only takes 10 or 20 minutes. but to test I usually do a voltage drop test. Multimeter on volts one end on centre pin of battery positive and use other probe on the actual terminal of the motor - not the connectors and then get someone to flick the key.
On main supply side of motor should get 0 reading non energised and a small volts drop energised1 or 2 not 10 or 12!
and ditto on the motor drive side of solenoid, should show battery full volts un energised, if not the windings are shot/ no path to earth.
and then energised should show a small drop as before.

and then the solenoid blade terminal, should show battery voltage idle and then small variation 1-2 volt when energised

most common one being a faulty crimp on battery terminal and then dirt on the crappy blade.

These tests are good cos they show actual voltage losses in cables and in this case the main positive cables, to test the earthing side run meter from neg battery to engine block, or isolate altogether using a jump lead.

Got a good land-rover this way, mate was forever complaining of poor strating and replaced everything or so he thought, jump lead direct and away it went! 500 quid turns into 1800!#

Ollie
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

adrian, it is a little confusing matey! but of all the xantia td starters they had down the yard (bin full) they all had 11 teeth and all the zx ones had 10 teeth!
afaik all the petrols from 1.6 upwards on the be style gear boxes share the same starters so bx, zx, xantia xsara, 205,309,405 etc!
its preferable to get a deisel due to the higher output form the motor meaning the engine spins over quicker with less stress on the starter!

if you have a gsf/ecp close and are going for a sparkly new one then ask them to have a look at the td ones and check the teeth count against the one removed!

its not to bad getting wires and plugs and things onto the starters when they are in position if you have thin arms with many extra bendy joints in them! if you have normal arms then its a pita!!!:D
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!