Starter motors!!

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Starter motors!!

Post by Timmo »

right chaps and chapess (bex!:D)
starter motors, any of you know which starter motors will fit the bx??? a mate of mine is running a xantia td one in his tuned m.i. so i wondered what others may fit that you know of?????
the starter is at the end of a long list of things annoying me about my car in the last 2-3weeks as alan s's patience can testify!! :D
planning on getting another starter and having a swap over and getting my issue's sorted once and for all lol! (will then wait and see what else wants to go wrong!!!!:D)
any help with what will fit gratefully appreciated!! (one for you kitch????)
timmo8)
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
ed_straker
3000 rpm

Post by ed_straker »

Not much help: I bought the one for the 16valve ;-)

Just one thing: Get yourself a brand new starter motor as you dont want to change that damn thing again. You have to take off the inlet mani to get a chance to reach the starter motor. Had do to that last winter and never want to do that again.

Edit: Where i bought them they list the starter motor as follows:
für BX16/BX19GTI/BX19GTI16V/XU/XU10J2/XU10J4

Works fine for me (Autobahn tested when Car wouldnt start and i still had to go a few meters ;-)
Honda Civic Type S
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi Timmo,

Mines off a 205 1.9 GTI from a local breakers and was identical to the existing unit.
I prefer to tackle the job by removing the rad, but the rear cradle is still a bummer to fit.

Cheers
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

i can get a xantia td one from the french yard down the road for £30+vat, and there are a few on good old ebay for about the same, trouble is i cant really afford a new one at the mo! £70+ etc! i know the sensible option is that but the cars been sat looking sorry for itself for too long now!

i know fitting is a pita as i have done a fair few of them in my time loL! my old 309 8v had a constant live feed going to the starter so would wear a new one out in 6 months! so i got kind of used to changing them loL! i think the smaller newer starters may be replaceable with everything inplace?? i know the big old ones certainly arnt though loL!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

ed_straker wrote:Not much help: I bought the one for the 16valve ;-)

Just one thing: Get yourself a brand new starter motor as you dont want to change that damn thing again. You have to take off the inlet mani to get a chance to reach the starter motor. Had do to that last winter and never want to do that again.

Edit: Where i bought them they list the starter motor as follows:
für BX16/BX19GTI/BX19GTI16V/XU/XU10J2/XU10J4

Works fine for me (Autobahn tested when Car wouldnt start and i still had to go a few meters ;-)
Its not that bad to lift off the intake, it takes me about 1 hour to change starter. But of course, if you stand outside and its winter, nothing is fun :(
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

I got mine new old stock off ebay for about 50 quid - I don't have the details any more to quote the part number unfortunately, but there's basically dozens!

Mine was a modern Citroen replacement without the rear support bracket, and the motor was half the size so much easier to get back in than removing the old one.

I did have to change the LT connector though, so be warned!

Adrian
cossie
4000 rpm

Post by cossie »

I have changed two so far !! both on my son Iain's cars.Think I got it down to an hour and a half last time.I didnt take out the inlet manifold either time,just the rad and fan assy.
I think both replacments were Bosch,starters.
Not a bad job in the summer,but I dont really want to do it again,so I hope mine stays ok.
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

The original though was if the TD starter fits? have afew BX Td starters, they seem longer and thinner than the 16V ones fitted, but crucially the gearbox fitting is the same, the only question then is whether the pinions are comaptible with the flywheel? see no reason why not?

If this is the case then a TD starter would probally have more clout to turn a Hot engine and therefore last longer? In practice I've never had a duff diesel starter but both 16v ones struggle if the engine vapour locks when warm.

What I hadn't realised was the 8v and 16v sharing a part No, if I had I'd have kept the spare on the 8v scrapped at the weekend! Doh :roll:
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

according to some other info gathered most of the petrol engines share the same starter!! and petrol starters are .6hp wher as the deisel ones are 1.1hp so will have a greater turning potential!
as long as the starter was bolted to a b.e. series cogbox then it will fit and as long as its got the 10 teeth the 16v one has then its all good! which by all accounts the xantia td one does?!?!!
might hold out to the weekend as a mate is off up a local yard where he gets blinding deals!!!:D (£5 for a starter!!!!)
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Toddman
Administrator

starter

Post by Toddman »

A diesel starter is a good mod we used to fit them to the tuned pintos and they lasted forever.
I also know a few people with mis who run the std GTi starters with no issues though.

Changing is not to abd if you get the car up on a lift,remove the oil filter and you should be able to do it all from underneath. - we do :D

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Gary C
4000 rpm

Post by Gary C »

I've a starter sititng in a pile of stuff to be binned. Bit of a long way to pop along and pick it up though. :cry:
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

thanks gary! tis a bit of a trek to pick it up hey! an dpostage wouldnt be cheap either but thank you for the offer matey!
am off dopwn the yard tomorow to try and get it sorted when littlun is asleep ehehehhe!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Sorted it today!!!!!
what you need is a zx td starter as its got the 10 teeth we need instead of the 11 of the xantia td's!
so anyway, after an hour and a half of removing varioius bits of the car and fighting others i have done the job and put it all back together! and she now starts properly! YAY!!
thanks to all those who have helped me over the past moth with issues on the car! you help has been very much appreciated!
no doubt something else will play up shortly it being french and all!!!:D:D:D:D!!!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi timmo any of these should do xantia 1.8 16v (i have in my car)
1.9d
1.9td
bx 1.9d + 1.9td should also fit.
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Hey TNS, yeah matey they should fit if they have 10 teeth! the Xantia td ones tend to all have 11 matey! but the petrol ones for the xantia, xm 2l and xsrar 1.8 will all fit as they have 10 teeth by all acounts!!:D
the zx td one i have seems ot be doing the job just fine!!!:D
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!