V6 in BX?

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
ed_straker
3000 rpm

Post by ed_straker »

What about a Turbodiesel clutch?! Doesn't the Berlingo one even fit?!
Honda Civic Type S
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

ed_straker wrote:What about a Turbodiesel clutch?! Doesn't the Berlingo one even fit?!
The 1,9 diesel clutch is only 200mm.
2,1 TD from XM etc. have 235mm and dont fit into original flywheel.
The 2,1TD has same diameter and gearbox as TCT and V6, and thos have ME5T gearbox. Im not really sure if that flywheel fits into BE3 gearbox.

Believe me, I have been looking around a lot for a cheap upgrade but still no good result. I had some ideas of taking flywheel, clutch and gearbox from V6 or TCT, but im not sure the box will fit the body. But im sure gonna try, i have a lot of parts and a lot of time :)

The easiest way is to buy a upgraded clutch that fits straight on, but it costs 3 times more than standard clutches :(
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

Like Dagger said, 235mm flywheel wont fit BE3 bell-housing, You need to take ME5T's bell-house and mount it to BE3 gearbox in order to keep BE3 and fit 235mm clutch.

I'm not 100% sure it will fit, I'll let You know when I'll experiment with mine.

But retaining smaller flywheel is a bonus, less rotational mass.

Cheers

Ziga
Image Don't run your life on diesel
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

TheDagger wrote:The Saab clutch fits on the guide studs, but not bolts. New boltholes are easy to drill :)
The Saab plate press 600 kilos and original 16v about 400 kilos.
That's more than enough,

Thanks!

Cheers

Ziga
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Did some measuring today, the old ZPJ4 is NOT possible to fin in a BX without major bodymodifications. The front camcover was outside the headlights...
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

Predictable...

205's engine bay is bigger than Bx's anyway, but it's nice to know for sure!

Thanks

Ziga
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

if the 205's engine bay is bigger than the bx then why do they run a re angled manifold and a shortened inlet for clearence????
surely if it were bigger than the bx's then they wouldnt have any issues?????????
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

Well You are right about the front part, but check how much clearance they have a the back.

There is a topic about V6 conversion into 205, but as I wasn't interested in conversion myself I only briefly checked the progress. You can check how they did it, but I believe BX has pretty small engine room comparing other cars in expence for larger boot and passenger compartment.

Cheers

Ziga
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

thats a 309 ziga! they have a larger engine bay than the 205!!
the 205 to run the std exhaust mani needs either the bulkhead modified with a large hammer to stop it fouling or an angled spacer plate to clear it! and the inlet tucks tight under the slam panel / crossmember if using the std one!
the 309 bay is deeper (front to baulkhead), i remember comparing them when my bro had his 205 and we both also had 309's!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

Oh, my bad then, didn't know 205 and 309 engine bays differ.

Here are couple of topics about 205 V6
the engine had to be removed if the sparkplugs ever need changing
http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.ph ... 20205&st=0

This one is actually twin v6
http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.ph ... &hl=v6+205

I can't find that topic about Hilgie's 205 V6

Here is a pic of V6 engine in 205 shell:

Cheers

Ziga
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... n%26sa%3DN
the lump is tighter than a gnats arse int he 205 bay!! you can see that the slam panel has been cut ot get the lump in yet on the 309 it fits intact! iirc the 309 bay is an inch deeper and wider than the 205's??
there was a copnversion done in france to a sorento green 205 gti and it looked the nuts! until it got wrapped around a tree! max power here did a feature on a pair of 205 v6's too! but i cant find hte link to the page on the forum it was on!!! :x
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Toddman
Administrator

engine bays

Post by Toddman »

I could be missing something here but is not the question "will a V6 fit in the BX?"

The actual room in the engine bay depends largely on the positioning of the engine and yes the 205 struggles to accomodate the mu lump without mods but that is largely due to the engine position an dthe position of th eradiator and slam panel etc not he lack of space in the engine bay.

You have to remeber taht when fitting an mi into a 205 that the engie position is relatively unchanged hence why the manifolds need modifying - I strongly suspect if you repositioned the subframe that there would be no work needed on the manifolds - the 205 bay is small but you will find that the BX bnay is just as tight if not tighter due to the actual mounting position of the engine.

Of course anything is possible if oyu really want to do it but is a V6 BX really worth the time an deffort?

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Probabely Hilgert is reading this topic too :wink:
His car still is not roadgoing as it needs to be tested.

A 205engine bay is definatly bigger because the 309 PTS exhaustmanifold will fit, but in the BX it DOESN'T, I've tried! The stabilisatorbar is too high positioned.
Also the 205 doesn't need the LHM-system.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Mandic wrote:Like Dagger said, 235mm flywheel wont fit BE3 bell-housing, You need to take ME5T's bell-house and mount it to BE3 gearbox in order to keep BE3 and fit 235mm clutch.

I'm not 100% sure it will fit, I'll let You know when I'll experiment with mine.
It just does not fit. The only gearbox that fits the ES9J4 is the ML5T gearbox. I have tried the BE one. Been there done that :)

You guys can see the whole build on here:
http://www.205v6.com/

And a small vid of the first run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhnLYaSG9uQ

Just use the whole engine+gearbox from the donor car. Shorten the driveshafts, convert the clutch to hydrolic and the gearcontrols to cable operated and away you are ;)

Also the french 205V6 still exists (owned by Denis) but the english 205V6 (build by Pugclinic) was crashed into a lamppost.
The 309 Goodwood V6 above is owned by Graeme Jeram from Scotland.
There is also a Citroen ZX V6 in the UK. I got pics for those interested. Just add me on MSN.

If you have any further questions after looking through the gallery, feel free to email or chat to me on MSN.

Hilgert