V6 in BX?

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Anonymous

V6 in BX?

Post by Anonymous »

I saw something about it on the old forum. I think it was the newer ES typ V6, not the older ZPJ.
Anyone knows about a successful conversion, pics would be nice :)
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

it is possible by all accounts but have never seen one!! afaik the back of the block needs to be ground down to allow it to fit properly,
have seen a couple of v6 conversions done on 205's and 309's, the engine isnt that much heavier than the mi either,
would make a blinding conversion though!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
ed_straker
3000 rpm

Post by ed_straker »

There's a ZX V6 at cardomain too. I think the BX is much too light for about 280NM torque ;-) :twisted:
Honda Civic Type S
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

that zx is running nos too!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I think BX has a smaller engine bay than 205 and 309. I have some friends driving 205 Mi16 and they have more clearance behind the engine compared to BX.

Too much torque? Not in my world ;) Power is something you never can get too much of :lol:
There is a 405 Mi16 with turbo here running 550hp, and a 205 Mi16 turbo with about 350hp. The 205 only drives dragracing but the 405 is used on the road.

I have an old XM with V6, but i dont think its possible to fit it in the BX without cutting it up everywhere...
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

How difficult is it to Turbocharge a 16v? do you need a different engine and would it cost silly money! :D
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

normal m.i. conversions into 205's will use a reangled exhaust manifold leading to it looking like there is more room in there! but the205 engine bay is the smaller of the 3 without doubt! (hence why the std inlet on the m.i. sits under the slam panel on a 205!! and is tight on a 309 yet int he bx has a couple of inches!!!)
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

TheDagger wrote:
I have an old XM with V6, but i dont think its possible to fit it in the BX without cutting it up everywhere...
This does fit into a Bx engine bay, as I've tried it myself :D

I wish I'd taken a picture but sadly I didn't. Decided not to do the conversion as from memory the lower front rail fouls, mount centres are diffferent across the engine and the rear bay fire wall would have to be cut out.

Have still got the V6 24v engine, box and loom in a friends garage, probably waiting for a Peugeot 505 GTi to turn up.

Mike P.
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
Toddman
Administrator

turbo

Post by Toddman »

Tim - the common route is via a supercharger such as one from the new cooper, ideally you would need an emerald management to control everything so I reckon just under a grand would see you with a decent reliable supercharged mi powered BX should run at about 220-250 BHP quite happily.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

Blimey that's cheap Luke :shock:

Wasn't someone on here going to fit a supercharger, was it Keith Adams?

Even if you 'only' had a 60BHP increase, that's a hell of an increase per pound.

Dan
Anonymous

Re: turbo

Post by Anonymous »

Toddman wrote:Tim - the common route is via a supercharger such as one from the new cooper, ideally you would need an emerald management to control everything so I reckon just under a grand would see you with a decent reliable supercharged mi powered BX should run at about 220-250 BHP quite happily.

Cheers
Luke
Superchargers are a bit expensive, otherwise i had bought one. Preferably a Rotrex then.
Used turbos from Saabs are cheap, almost for free.
I have turbo, IC, extra fuel system already. Probably rolling with turbo 2007!
Over 200hp the clutch has to be replaced too, expensive stuff :(
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Replace the battery to the trunk and place a nice turbo, will do much better! :D Some people in Holland are already working on it.
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

Which V6 is which? I know that the XM used to have one and so did the Xantia...
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
Toddman
Administrator

sc

Post by Toddman »

Daniel B wrote:Blimey that's cheap Luke :shock:

Wasn't someone on here going to fit a supercharger, was it Keith Adams?

Even if you 'only' had a 60BHP increase, that's a hell of an increase per pound.

Dan
We did look into it Dan.
A good mod is to use 8v pistons to lower the CR and mini chargers are quite cheap now the emerald weighs in at about £450 so all can be done within budget I reckon if oyu are capable.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

djoptix wrote:Which V6 is which? I know that the XM used to have one and so did the Xantia...
There is 2 basic types, the old PRV-based 90 degrees V6 that are in older XM, then a newer much nicer 60 degrees that is both in Xantia and newer XM.

The older one is called ZPJ and ZPJ4, the later is 24 valve.
The newer one is called ES9J4.