........and now for something completely different.

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
AlanS
3000 rpm

........and now for something completely different.

Post by AlanS »

For years I've been banging on about the BX16V that ran at Bathurst in the Production car series back in the early 90s and have turned heavan and Earth over looking for a few clues as to what they did.
Following a long winded thread over here a while back, it turned out that a few of the old race cars came to the surface. These if you remember were all minus the sunroof (why weren't they all) :roll: :wink:
Here is a posting that came through tonight (this morning your time) which should be of great interest.
I've omitted one link as it's dead, but if he sorts it, I'll post it as a response.
One for you to all use as a basis for future suspension mods and much more effective than the old cutting the groove in the height selector trick.
You can make some adjustable spheres. Take an accumulator sphere; machine the inside face flat; fit a "heli coil" thread to the inside face; collect the damper washers from old spheres; using a 7mm bolt and nyloc nut fit as many/few damper washers either side of damper plate as you require; place damper assembly inside sphere; use a manufactured retaining numt to hold it all in place; fit to car and test on a race track. Also fit a schrader type valve in place gas charging plug so that the pressure can be varied.
You now have a fully configurable "spring and damper" set up. See links to pics.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/m ... mplete.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/m ... parts1.jpg
Enjoy, have fun,

Alan S
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Very interesting Alan but the photo links don't work :cry:

Mike P.
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
Toddman
Administrator

spheres

Post by Toddman »

There was a guy on the old forum who had done something similar to this he was an aircraft engineer IIRC
Good article though Alan suspect Jay might be tempted

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

Mike P wrote:Very interesting Alan but the photo links don't work :cry:

Mike P.
How weird is that??

Try this and see how you go.

http://208.109.104.50/forum/showpost.ph ... stcount=13

Alan S
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Links didnt work cos the aussie frogs forum is too clever for mortals, i've editted the links in AlanS post so they now work correctly!
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Post by MoRtYMer »

The last pic on the aussie forum didn't work. Here's the correct link : http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/m ... mbled1.jpg
Toddman
Administrator

spheres

Post by Toddman »

I knew it all looked familiar -

http://www.bx16v.com/archive_forum/view ... sc&start=0

Page 2 has links poste dby michael16v which work

Cheers
Luke
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

Sounds easy, looks much less so!

I'm quite happy with the white one's 30/.5 all round which are good & hard and by far out handles my Grey one on standards.

It's a VERY good idea, but with so little known about specific setting and results thereof i wouldn't want to spend too much time trying to figure it all out. Besides, no charging rig available...lol

My setup is really stiff, and yes potholes are unforgiving but i try to avoid them whenever i can, the handling more than compensates for the possible additional suspension wear (seeing as i've bought a complete new front-end setup i won't worry about that).

A few times i've forgotten myself approaching corners in the grey one and just praying it goes round, whereas the white one just munches tight bends for tea...
Now listen here you mullet...
Toddman
Administrator

spheres

Post by Toddman »

I run the following

Front 30/0.70 - BX 16v std rears
Rear 35/0.60 - XM V6 fronts regassed to 35bar

Ride is still good but by christ does it hang on during the twisties :twisted:

Cheers
Luke
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

:twisted:
Now listen here you mullet...
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

From my understanding of it, when they were racing these at Bathurst, they devised a control from inside the car so the driver could adjust on the run if need be.
The video I have been trying to lay hands on, apparently shows the late Peter Brock with an in car camera looking through the screen (of his factory backed Mi16) and watching the (privateer) BX pulling away on him on the corners and Brock who by this time was sounding like a soprano due to frustration, saying "look at that thing! how are we supposed to compete with that?? just look at it, it corners flatter than a can of sardines!!" :shock: Looking forward to the day I get my hands on that so I can drop it on a DVD and send it across to you guys as I think it would be a popular piece of history of the model and well worth keeping alive.

Alan S
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Post by MoRtYMer »

That would be great video to have! :)
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

I'd forgotten where that write up I copied and pasted got put; thanks for finding it.

Luke, might be a good one to park somewhere on the forum here so when anybody gets down a bit, they can read it and cheer themselves up.Image

Alan S
Toddman
Administrator

links

Post by Toddman »

AlanS wrote:I'd forgotten where that write up I copied and pasted got put; thanks for finding it.

Luke, might be a good one to park somewhere on the forum here so when anybody gets down a bit, they can read it and cheer themselves up.Image

Alan S
I agree Alan - I think I might put a sticky in the BX 16v chat section for people to post cool links lik ethe above

Cheers
Luke