I just don't get it...

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
ed_straker
3000 rpm

I just don't get it...

Post by ed_straker »

Please, dont laugh :roll:

Ok, had time to check my valver. The cambelt hasn't snapped PLUS it doesn't seem to have sprung over (ok, as far as i could check it with some screws...).
I could turn the engine (no metal noise or such as).

BUT: Belt is pretty loose (!) , was noisy (when engine was still running).

SO: Just tighten the belt, cross fingers and fire the beast up?!?!?

I feel a bit dumb as i havent checked it earlier (OK, didnt have the time...).
Honda Civic Type S
Toddman
Administrator

16v

Post by Toddman »

Hi
I can't remember your symptoms but I would whip the plugs out for a quick check then retime and tension the belt with stepped pins if at all possible.

Hope it turns out to be an easy fix

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Channel Hopper
Tick Over

Post by Channel Hopper »

It could either be fine, or expensive once you push down the go pedal.

Your choice, but I would seriously consider checking you are exactly on the right timing marks before starting (and it would be a shame to junk a top end for an hour of your time)
ed_straker
3000 rpm

Post by ed_straker »

Sorry, didn't write it down: Of course i would re-check the position first, you're absolutely right there.
I'm not that keen :wink:
Honda Civic Type S
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

How loose is "fairly loose"? Not trying to sound smart, but if it's flappy loose there has to be a good reason for it as these later belts do not stretch.
It could be that someone has either not tightened the retaining bolt to the tensioner and it has come loose or alternatively, it could be as is often the case, that they haven't used a tension wrench on it when they've tightened it and it has stripped and come loose.
The other alternative is the water pump has collapsed and this is the one that can cause major dramas if started whilst in this condition; even the slightest angle on any one of the sprockets or tensioners will run the belt off the sprockets and a water pump with stuffed bearings will do just that.
If you find nothing obvious, I'd suggest doing as has been suggested by pegging the sprockets and resetting the belt, but then whilst the plugs are still out (plugs must be out to set the timing correctly to prevent it rolling over compression in the process) disconnect the coil and whilst the covers are still off the top of the belt area, spin the car over from outside on the starter keeping a close eye on the belt for movement towards the outer edge of the sprockets whilst you do it.
I wouldn't even turn the engine on the key though until I had removed the cover, checked the timing and components and made certain nothing was amiss.

Alan S
Toddman
Administrator

belt

Post by Toddman »

After reading this thread again I would definitely second Alans suggestions - being thorough is always a good thing IMHO

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

i would advise that if the belt s loose that you run the tests with a new belt! purely becasue if it was noisey it could have damaged the existing belt??? and purely for peace of mind!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!