306GTI-6 gearbox in my 16V

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
mechuccio
3000 rpm

306GTI-6 gearbox in my 16V

Post by mechuccio »

Hi all!

I've bougth myself a new present :D
It's a 6-speed gearbox that belonged to a peugeot 306GTI-6
Unfortunately I can't pick it up before may, but its waiting! And it'll be fitted!
It should fit with not too much troubles, the only 2 things I need to do is replace the clutch-lever with the one from my 5-speeder and find a short axel of a 306GTI-6, a Xantia 2.0 16V or a ZX 2.0 16V and fit the gearbox-end of that axel to my BX axel. further it should be easy as taking a crap!

I'm really looking forward to this project! as soon as I've got it I'll post some pics!
You can't spell slaughter without laughter ->I just love my 16V<-
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

Hi Mechuccio,
be very interested to hear how you get on with this, as long term, I will probably need to go this route as well.

Would be very useful if you could document it with pics aswell, and then maybe Luke could post it somewhere on the website as a 'how to' guide?

Cheers

Dan
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Not 100% sure its Quite that easy! I know whittyzx hwo's onhere considered it and looked into it a bit more and i think luke did the same??
I Think it uses a different linkage al together for the gears?? Cables insted of rods iirc?? but may be wrong!!!
will be interesting to see how it goes though!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

it does use cables timmo but only for the reverse gear AFAIA and being a cable its not too much of a mechnical problem to over come, the clutch is also hydraulic which means making up an adapter to have the mechanica cable activate the hydraulic clutch (or possibly use a Xantia pedal box :? )

Size and space wise its deffinately possible, but i'll be watching with great expectations because i know i'm far from being the only person on here that wants to try it!
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

Heys!

A Dutch 16Valver already is fitted with the 6-box.
about the hydraulic clutch, thats just a question of replacing the levers (one pushes, the other one pulls) as for the linkage, I've been told by this dude that it'll fit like a charm!
But as always.... I'll have to wait :D but when I start on it I'll make a how to with pics and everything. It should be a sweet conversion :D
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

Interesting project.

Don't forget to tell us then how the car handles with that box.
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

naturally :D

The 6th gear of that box is equal to my present 5th gear, so in theory it should accelerate a bit faster (if I don't lose too much time with shifting :lol:) But its definitely sweet to be able to say that I have a six-box :D
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

I've got some pics!
Not too big unfortunately but I'll mail the present owner for hig res pics.

anyways, it looks not too complicated I guess!

Last edited by mechuccio on Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

that does look mahoosively bigger :( i've picked one up before now and there isn't much difference in weight but that does look a lot beefier. Now to bolt that to a t16 transfer box!
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

Actually the size is the same (BE3)
Just the diff is a bit wider and for that I need to replace the gearbox-end of my BX's short axel with one from that peugeot, or xantia or ZX.
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

I also looked into this when my neighbour was changing the knackered box on his GTi-6, my box was off at the time so we bolted it into my car.

The 5th/6th gear housing (that pressed steel cover on the end of the box) is quite a bit deeper than a standard 5 speed and therefore sticks out from under the inner wing and will foul the front wheel when on full right-hand lock.

This is the main reason that 205's won't go through an MOT after having a 6-speed fitted.

My cheap & easy way round it was to modify a manual steering rack so it turns half a turn less each way (by drilling through the rack at either end & drifting a rollpin in so the pinion has a dead stop each way). I already bought and stripped a recon rack to do it but then decided against the 6-speed. (Though i am still using the manual rack).

Jay
Now listen here you mullet...
Channel Hopper
Tick Over

Post by Channel Hopper »

Anything can be overcome (as long as you dont find out you have 6 reverse gears and one forward) :shock: :D
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

Anyone compared the current standard box with a Xsara 5 speed box instead of the 6?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

clutch is not hydrolic but it doe's work backwards like the deiseld the release bearing is mounted to the cover

reverse has a cable that needs pulling so it can be selected other than that linkage same as a normal be3

and yes side by side they are a fair bit longer

ive got a box in my shed but i can't find a gti6 linkage cheap enough at the moment when i do then i will probally put it in the zx but... that will be after the headwork is finished now
Toddman
Administrator

6 speed

Post by Toddman »

It is quite simple the biggest issue is the afore mentioned push/pull differences.
Myself and the Langworth Motorsport guys looked at it all when we rebuilt my gearbox as they had a GTi-6 in the workshop at the same time, I would be inclined to revise the ratios though as IIRC the 6 speed box is very similar to the 5 speed but just with an extra cog squeezed in.

Look forward to seeing the results though

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch