306GTI-6 gearbox in my 16V

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

A fren of mine has the gbox fitted to a ZX 4 dr.
but has engineered a very simple way to fit the release cable.
Just get a tube that slides smoothly on the gear shaft, below knob
weld a washer on the top of the tube., cut/file a slot to fit the cable.
Thats it , it works well, when need reverse just lift the ring/washer with 2 fingers to engage reverse
badlyworntoy
3000 rpm

Post by badlyworntoy »

hey
your technical english is far better than my pidgeon dutch son,i get what your saying now with the stick being lifted to get the cable to engage.........to be honest ive already started to machine a collar which will go round the stick to pull the cable,i bloody hate messing with gear selectors pain in the arse lad........... i may even knock up a few and send my favorite dutchman one :lol:
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

hahaha that would be good!
Always nice to see this kind of work in progress, I must say that this cable thing was the thing that costed me the most time.
Mostly because you don't really need it to drive with the 6-speeder but without it there's no way anybody else can drive your car. And offcourse when the cable is installed it's just a lot better when you're up for some serious speeding, quickshifting from 5 to 6 will allmost everytime result in some teeth grinding without it :oops: :lol:
You can't spell slaughter without laughter ->I just love my 16V<-
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

but anyway, here are some more pics of my contraption :lol:
Don't mind how horribly dirty my valver is at the moment, in winter with all the snow and rain and salt and mud and crap I just can't be bothered to clean the interior, that's one of the things that'll have to wait until spring 8)

Normal state, reverse is locked:

Pulled, reverse can be selected now:

Cable in normal state, reverse is locked:

Cable pulled, reverse can be selected:

And to finish it off, also the mechanics at the MOT will know where to find the reverse :lol:
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

Holy crap!

Is that board computer working? Tell us more about it! Was always interested in how it works.

Thanks

Ziga
Image Don't run your life on diesel
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

Oh yeah haha that works indeed.
Only thing I can't use is the fuel consumption part.
There is (for very good reasons) no flow-meter installed.
Other than that everything works just fine and dandy.
It shows the average speed, driven kilometers, I can use the trip meter.
But the only thing I really use it for is it's exceptionally good time-projection-system aka clock :lol:
The display is placed where the normal digital clock used to be installed.
Only thing I'm always looking at when visiting for instance CitroMobile is the plastic cover (should be one piece for the keyboard and the door-open indicator)
And the lever for the wiper/horn which should be fitted with a little butten to scroll through the functions of the computer)
I must add that I did not install this computer myself, it was installed by the first Dutch owner of this valver (originally Belgium)
But it's a straight forward installation as I've understood, an extra piece of cable for the speedometer so the computer can calculate average speed and driven kilometers, power for the circuit and offcourse the cable between the keyboard and the display.
This computer came of a model GT with all its belongings, the fuel-flow meters are known to start leaking and that's the reason it's not installed.
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

Wicked!

Well if You spot any for sale somewhere, let me know, well interested.

Cheers

Ziga
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

They are quite rare indeed.
But they where also fitted in lots of CXes.
I'd guess that you would be able to find one at a CX club.
But should I spot one somewhere I'll let you know!
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

Thanks!
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

mechuccio wrote:Oh yeah haha that works indeed.
Only thing I can't use is the fuel consumption part.
There is (for very good reasons) no flow-meter installed.
Other than that everything works just fine and dandy.
It shows the average speed, driven kilometers, I can use the trip meter.
But the only thing I really use it for is it's exceptionally good time-projection-system aka clock :lol:
The display is placed where the normal digital clock used to be installed.
Only thing I'm always looking at when visiting for instance CitroMobile is the plastic cover (should be one piece for the keyboard and the door-open indicator)
And the lever for the wiper/horn which should be fitted with a little butten to scroll through the functions of the computer)
I must add that I did not install this computer myself, it was installed by the first Dutch owner of this valver (originally Belgium)
But it's a straight forward installation as I've understood, an extra piece of cable for the speedometer so the computer can calculate average speed and driven kilometers, power for the circuit and offcourse the cable between the keyboard and the display.
This computer came of a model GT with all its belongings, the fuel-flow meters are known to start leaking and that's the reason it's not installed.
I've got one of these computers spare at the moment. I bought it off ebay to do exactly what you've done (but didn't initially realise I couldn't use the fuel consumption part! :oops: )
Was it tricky to fit? I've got the speedo sender bit and the display etc. Is there much to wire in? I'm shocking at soldering!
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

Well, I did not install this computer, the first Dutch owner of my car did but told me it was a straight forward installing.
You can use the flow-meter however but they are known to start leaking, lots of BXes and CXes burnt down because of that.
As I understould there's the speedo cable, power and grounding and the cable between the display and the computer. That's all.
Should be not too hard to install.
Next year I'm planning to install a new complete dashboard as mine is broken in several places just beneath the window. I'll make some photo's of how my b/c is installed.
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Ah, didn't know about the burning!! I always assumed I'd never get the fuel meter unit to work cos it's an injected engine, not carb.
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Just on that subject, I was wondering....would the metering unit from a similar age 2.0 8v MPFI XM work do you think?
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

I would think so actually.
But I'm not going to play with it as I'm driving on LPG and can't really use it anyway :)
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Mechuccio, where does the other end of the cable connect to? Doe it have to actually pull something on the gearbox to engage reverse? I have a 6speed box in the garage, but for the life of me i can't figure out where the cable should attach.

I suspect a picture might help if you happen to have one.