Injector cleaner

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
djoptix
4000 rpm

Injector cleaner

Post by djoptix »

Anyone used this? Did it make a difference? I've got some Redex, was thinking about using it on the BX once I have a new downpipe and can actually assess the performance properly. Also going to run it through girlfriend's Polo (1 litre MPI, vrrroooomm)
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
csg100
3000 rpm

Re: Injector cleaner

Post by csg100 »

I've heard most are pretty useless, the only decent one out there is the Forte products. Cant hurt though I guess.
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
1988 Volvo 360 GLT (for sale)
www.carlgibbs.com/gallery
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

I'll 2nd the comment on Forte stuff - Witmun Engineering use this stuff, and our oil consuming Passat got a dose of fuel treatment, followed by an oil treatment before the last service and the 1/2 litre oil habit it had prior to the service has totally gone :shock:

Bare in mind this was on a VAG 1.8T lump with an auto box, so tends not to get revved much. Seems to have removed all the gummed up residue around the valve seals and piston rings, and so far so good (done about 2k since the service and oil level hasn't moved)

Adrian
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

i tried the one fromt he local petrol garage once (comma maybe!) and can honestly say i noticed no difference! but then the pipes were not in the best state anyways!! changing them made a lot more difference!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

I've always been pretty sceptical on this stuff and over the years I've used heaps of it, but when you take the injectors out, they're still choked up with carbon.
Personally, I think if it were used on a regular basis from new, it may do something, but used as a way to actually clean dirty injectors on older cars, I have never seen any positive results.
Used as it was on Adrians car as a liquid decarboniser/upper lube is a different kettle of fish, and on a car without a catalytic converter you'd get away with it, but on one with a cat, it again becomes a whole new ballgame.

Alan S