Tappets!

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
tim leech
7000 rpm

Tappets!

Post by tim leech »

Im sure i know this but the tappets on a 16v are hydraulic? mines been standing for about a month, the battery was a bit flat so i jump started it but it sounded quite tappety!

It did get better as it warmed up but still seemed noisy.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

yes matey they are hydraulic! will take a bit of time to get the oil up to them to quieten them down again!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

It's the nature of the beast. I managed to quieten mine down eventually by running a very light grade oil (0W40) but it still gives a couple of ratatats a few seconds after start up.
Quietest set of these tappets I ever heard was on an Mi16 I was working on a couple of months back where I removed them all, stripped them, cleaned and reoiled and lightly greased as I reassembled (as per Citroen instructions) then I went to the trouble of getting the oil supply hole in the groove as close as I could to where the oil is pumped through the gally and the result was it ran like a new engine.
To do that though, you need to have the camshafts out, so unless you're doing other jobs it's hardly worth the hassle.
I'm getting due for a cambelt shortly and might just go through mine then.

Alan S
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

My cars done 200 miles in 6 months so that probably why!
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

You'll find if you take it for a fairly long run, it will be quiet by the time you get back and will give some relief, but those tappets have like a piston inside them that gets pumped up with oil. When you strip them, they usually get pulled completely apart and you'll find a few have a hard feel to them as opposed to the slightly springy feel they should have.
There's a fair amount of stuffing around goes on to clean them, strip and burp them before refitting. I could be wrong, but my theory was if a heavier oil was being used (say 20W50 for example) and they were flattened out due to lack of use, that the heavier oil wouldn't get in there quickly enough to give a bit of an oil cushion before it started to tap. It's hard to explain, but if you ever see a couple apart and can do a comparison on one that's flat against one that's been freed up, you'll understand what I'm talking about; a flattened one would have the same effect as a loosely adjusted tappet on a manually adjustable tappet set up.

Alan S
iain a
3000 rpm

Post by iain a »

chaps at b & l auto's in welwyn told me if they are tappety, change oil for 20w 50.....then when next oil change is due, go back to the norm....apparently this tops up the tappets......
oh bugger!! What now?!?
Toddman
Administrator

tappets

Post by Toddman »

When ever I have had a clicking tappet on my 16valves I just drain the oil and give them a parafin flush then new filter and the usual 5W-40 that I use.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Mines running castrol slr synthetic oil free from work, will give it a run and see what happens! It has done high miles so i dont expect oit to be silent, and as imused to 19 diesels its not too bad!
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Mines really bad for this. It never settled down after the rebuild. I did clean the tappets but I didn't give enough attention to the little holes for the oil. I think they're blocked a bit and I never lined them up.

I'll strip it all off again during winter and do them properly! Or try Lukes parafin trick first!
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

I will change my oil soon again and put a engine flush through it if the tappets are still noisy.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I have used this a couple of times in diffrent cars: http://www.wynns.be/product.aspx?nav=1& ... 76864&l=EN

Works!
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Is it anygood? How much is it.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

As I said, it works. It takes away noise from lifters after some driving.

I dont know how much it is in your country, but a wild guess is maximum 10£
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

Yes the wynns stuff is good! Use it on K series which have missed oil changes, makes them go from diesel to petrol in a flash :roll:
Go with luke advice, parrafin or Diesel as a flushing "Oil" then use good thinner oil theres plenty of choice in 10 or 5 w 40's

Used GTX magntec for the first time yseteeday when servicing my wifes Skoda, don't like castrol oil that much but its much quiter at start up, so it can't be bad!

As for the 20w 50 trick it doesn't fill up the tappets, it just dampens the noise! there is a difference.......