OCTOPUS

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
skr079

OCTOPUS

Post by skr079 »

Hi guys, new on here. I know its not strictly a 16v question, but i've got a 93K BX TZD and my mechanic has just changed the octopus pipes and have now got an issue with the suspension.

As soon as the engine is turned on within a few seconds the front suspension raises to its highest level and becomes rock hard even if the lever is set at its lowest setting. The rear suspension operates as normal when the lever is move from low to high and back again. Before the pipes were replaced it all worked perfectly and as far as i'm aware everything has been put back together as it should be.

Any idea's as not being able to drive it is doing my nut!

Cheers
Steve
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Hi and welcome!

for general BX Advice you can find info on www.bxclub.co.uk

However the problem you have is with the suspension which mechanically is the same as the 16v some something we all know! I suspect your mechanic has some how disconnected the the metal control linkage that runs from the height control lever to the height corrector, and the setting on the HC is set to full. DONT get under this car without stands and a jack as it will try give you a headache, you need to be careful and check the linkage, it might just be stuck however i suspect that it will have been twisted off and need reconnecting, easiest to do if you have ramps!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yes it sounds like something not right around front height corrector. If everything seems to be in place try adjustment of H/C clamp on anti roll bar.

A good tip when adjusting is to only partially slacken the bolt on adjuster (so it still grips on its own accord) and tap it round on a/roll bar with hammer/punch until you have correct suspension height as per Haynes manual.
It stops you having to hold the setting whilst trying to tighten bolt.

Also there is a bronze bush where the A/R bar to H/C mechanism pivots. This is often seized or diaplaced and affects the system's sensitivity to load-height correction.

Finally, the connecting mechanism is of a brazed construction and the braze on this item sometimes fails giving a suspension that varies between too high and too low. Same for rear.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

yup i would go with that!

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)