'Aero' Wiperblades??

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Timmo
Full Throttle

'Aero' Wiperblades??

Post by Timmo »

Anyone any experience with these?? I remember vaguely someone saying about them a while back (possibly Dan or Adrian??), quite tempted by a pair for the wife's car and also thinking about biting the bullet and getting a pair for mine too but thought i wouold check for some good feedback before spending a fair Wedge on wiper blades lol!

Any comments very welcome!

Ta in Advance!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Hi mate

Not sure if it was me or not, but anyway......

Aero wiper is handy for the drivers side (or single!) wiper, but I wouldn't bother on the back as the blade will almost certainly point the wrong way so you'll get lift

If it recommends a single aero wiper, stick with that. It's tempting to put 2 on but I'm led to believe this can stress out the wiper motor as it has to work harder to move the wiper arm if there's force being applied to hold the blade onto the screen.

I really like Bosch blades - you can get them on ebay for way less than Halfrauds will charge you for exactly the same thing!

Whatever you get, be prepared to throw them away in a year or 2 if you keep the car outside as sun isn't good for them.

Cheerio

Adrian
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

thanks adrian!
i think i'll stick with some decent normal ones for now as does seem a little silly to throw £30 on wiper blades for the two cars!!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Post by MoRtYMer »

I was thinking of buying one for the BX, but from valeo (same design), as i can't find the aero (bosch) here...
RichL
Tick Over

Post by RichL »

With a central wiper blade, isnt an aerofoil going to work upside down half the time?
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

i'd have thought that Rich, but then i figured if its skimming the passenger side and not wearing out the motor then its a win win situation!

Assuming these are blades with a 'wing' on them i used to only use these on the AX and BX as i got a bulk load for not a lot of money, they are an improvement over non bladed but i'm not sure the benefit out wighs the cost (unless you get them cheap)!

the BEST thing for the windscreen is simply to make sure its clean and scratch free, wipers last well longe that way :D
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Post by MoRtYMer »

I think that the design of the spoiler works both ways...
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Vanny wrote:the BEST thing for the windscreen is simply to make sure its clean and scratch free,:D
Vanny, this is my windscreen were talkin g about here loL! Ofcourse its clean lol!
the 'aero' blades are the ones you now see on a lot of the new cars, more like a floppy arm than a blade if you like! used to be very expensive (came on the original twingo first iirc??) but have come down a lot in price lately due to so many vehicles coming with them!
i have a blade with a spoiler on it as such, and it does help a bit! but not massively!

i should have two new 'aero' blades arriving in the morning, one for mine one for the wife's, and will see how they are, i know origially adrian said that they will ware out a motor a lot quicker but i have a recon one sat at a friends in wales ready to come down and go on! but the main point for me is that through ebay prices are very similar for a pair of 'Aero' blades as they are for the Bosch blades! (i got a piar which have the size of mine and the wifes - 20" for me and 22" for the bravo) which was cheaper than tewo individuals! i think there may have been a pound in it for aero over bosch! so thought why not have a try!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

ha ha right now i knwo what your talking about, have seen them, just thought they looked pretty but NO there special and clever! Thanks to Google for the education :D
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

They fit them on veedubs amd I must say do work very well and look nice and smooth.
Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

do these not have a fitting that only fits vw, only ones we do at halfords are bosch ones andwill only fit vw, they have a 90degree turn fitting,you slip it on, turn 90degrees and jobs done!
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

the ones i haev got come with a universal fitting kit! will know more today when they hopefully arrive!

OT, Simran, anychance of a halfords trade card matey????;)
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

I like the idea of the myself Timmo keep us updated.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

i already have a trade card at halfords, shame there is no product catalogue and discounts are hit miss or maybe. You need to be guilded to get them and prove that your guilded (guilded mechanic that is) they will also accept written applications from automotive buisnesses which is how i got mine! In fact i just walked in wearing oil saoked overalls asked nicely, spun a tale, and received a trade card which seems to be getting used twice a week so i guess it's good for them!

It's largely at the discretion of the store manager so find a friendly store manager and ask!
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Well they arrived just before we were due to pop out to baby group so a quick fit and test!!!
First impressions are very good! they seem a lot lighter than the std blades and move across the screen a lot quicker and are smear free too! will have to see how they hold up!
but as its me! some pictures!!
out the box

fitted to the car

And to the wife's

they look odd from the inside on the wiper arm! i htink oits because the clip for the arm is above the blade!
but impressed with them for now!!

this is the guy i got mine from on ebay, bets prices i could find and delivery isnt bad either! (bought saturday evening and arrived today!)
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/quality.car.parts
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!