getting a new car but not a citroen!!!

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

getting a new car but not a citroen!!!

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi folks,
in a couple months im getting a new car but its not a bx! i need a big pimp ride thats a bit more reliable than the bx. ive decided to go for a benz clk compressor, the 320 sport auto tip is a really nice llokin car with the AMG wheels, been looking around and can pick up a fair milage one around 96-98 from £4600. what do you guys think of them? have taken one for a spin and they move like steaming hot sh*te of a shovel! :twisted:

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

running costs is all i will say!
if you can afford to run it then go for it! if not steer clear!!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

This one?

In the words of Electric Six - "gay car".

or was it "bar"?

You must be wadded to be considering it, mate, but IMHO it's a bit of a taxi driver's car, as are most Mercs nowadays. Not a fan of the new look at all.
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
Jezziebx16v

Re: getting a new car but not a citroen!!!

Post by Jezziebx16v »

thanuttiscotsman wrote:i need a big pimp ride thats a bit more reliable than the bx
I hope your not questioning the reliability of the mighty BX ? :P
These big executive motors are fairly cheap these days mainly down to the fact that if you can afford to run them you can afford to buy them new, hence the cheap secondhand price's. Just check you CAN afford to run and maintain one before you buy, dare say the supercharger would cost as much if not more than a Bx16v.

Jez
Past 16v's: 89 Ph1 Black, 90 Ph2 Grey, 89 Ph2 Black, 91 Ph2 Grey, 91 Ph2 Black.

Now. 94 Datsun Silvia S14 rice rocket, 85 Peugeot 505 Turbo, 77 Ford Capri.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

hi, nope not the std one the AMG one,..... this one

yeah they are cheap!, but they way i drive the 16v fuel costs are the same! the only scunner would be insurance but i'll insure it in me da's name and then i get some fully comp for my mates 750cc e reg panda and drive the merc on it! apart from that i will service it myself! :D

and taxi drivers only drive e and s class carswwell up here anyhow.! :D

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Rossco, Dont insure it in your dads name and drive it off a third party insurance cover of another policy! Sorry but if you cant afford the insurance your self, simple, Dont Buy it!
What woudl happen if you smack it up?? yeah you can claim omn my insurance, give the details and see youve been driving around in a big ol merc oon a 3rd party only basis from a different policy! and remember, you would need your Pops permition everytime you wanted to go out! :wink: :roll:
servicing costs may be cheaper diy, But also with a car like the amg version it will be almost worthless without a full dealer history come time to pass it oN!
Seriously matey, Think about this properly! dont try and cut corners to get one!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

hi timmo,
yeah i hear you, but remembering ive never wrecked a car in my life and so dont plan to start with mercs :D yup if it gets crashed then it will realisticly prolly get broken and flogged on e-bay followed by me going out and buying another one basically. but yeah to be honest im quite a care free easy going person, i dont wouldnt mind if i was driving round third party. but suppose its just me, as long as im covered im cool. :D if it does become too much i can flog it and get back in the 16v :twisted: .

cheers lads, rossco

Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Nearly all insurance companies have removed the right to drive other cars with 3rd party only cover precisely for this reason - check your small print on any existing policies and I bet it doesn't mention it (which means you ain't got it!)

Either that or it'll be a policy exclusion listed somewhere.

A lot of people haven't noticed this and are probably driving around once in a while thinking it's OK when in fact they have no cover whatsoever

Adrian
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Nice looking car and ALOT of money for what it is, but as the guys say mate if you cabnt aford to insure it fully comp then dont buy it. A for BMWs well I dont rate them to be honest, overpriced overblown and normally bought by 2 kinds of people! :shock:

I would save my money and get the BXs up and running.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Adrian E wrote:Nearly all insurance companies have removed the right to drive other cars with 3rd party only cover

Adrian
it wont be third party!, it will be fully comp both ways! :D and yeah i could afford insurance although it would be £2k per year hence im not wasting £2k and im doing it the other way! 8)

rossco

Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

mate, its rare as rocking horse poo that you would get f/c cover on anyother vehicle from another policy unless its a dedicated trade policy! my policy is f/c with cover on all other cars with owners permission (always make sure i get it on the policy) but the cover is 3rd party only! Make sure you are properly covered matey or otherwise you could find your self on the police 'worth a stop' list!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
ed_straker
3000 rpm

Post by ed_straker »

Why not get a nice Xsara Vts?! Quite cheap, reliable and affordable.
Wouldnt buy one of these either, dont want to work for the car only :roll:
Honda Civic Type S
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

hey timmo,
yeah i know id be driving the merc as third party but it makes no real difference to me really. i rarely drive cars on their own policy as ive always got quick cars.

rossco

Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

End of the day Rossco, its your choice and your decision, but i for one wouldnt drive it around unless i was cheifly insured on it! but were all different!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

You won't be allowed to drive the Merc from another policy unless you aren't the registered keeper, so your dad would have to be named on the V5. You also probably won't be allowed to drive it 3rd party unless there is another active policy on the car, so your dad would have to insure it separately from you...

Even if you service it yourself, it's a fair wedge to spend on a car in the first place - especially if you'd scrap it if you wrecked it - plus spares are expensive and you'll lose FSH...

IMHO I wouldn't, but as the guys say it's your choice...

Also - fair enough, they might go like greased weasel poo but are you really going to take it to its limits? Personally I find the 16v is enough for me at the moment... and, more importantly, enough for most roads (though when I've turned it into a track day monster we'll see if that changes) :twisted:
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."