New Mountain Bike frame!

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Timmo
Full Throttle

New Mountain Bike frame!

Post by Timmo »

Thought i Best sort some pics out for you!!
frame came with damage that i knew about but on arrival it wasnt half as bad as i thought!!! i thought by the description the damage was on the bottom of the down tube but turned out to be the side so no major work was involved and turned into a simple repair!! so needles to say i am very pleased!!
so some pics! wahoooo!
the damage to the frame! looks worse than it actuallyy was!

So after a clean up of the whole frame and rub down and prep of the crack which is on the side of the downtube not the bottom as feared, first strengthenng patch applied!

then left to harden significantly and cleaned up and prepped for the next one! but didnt look too half bad like that! hahah! frame strength had improved massively! no more flexing at all in the down tube! quite pleased with it! you can see the Carbon weave in the background of the second shot![8D]

so today was second patch day so carefully masking taped out the patch i needed (tape stops the edges from fraying so badly when cut! if youve ever played with raw carbon weave as such you'll know what i mean!!) and the frame positioned in such a way i could get to all of it and carefully resined up ready for the weave!
weave applied and sorted as best i could and then left to dry,
the result is a full length down tube patch to add significant strength to the original repair and also make it slightly less obvious! although the weave pattern is different but thats copeable!!
quite pleased with the result, although needs tidying around the edges fo the patch before finishing off, and polishing up,

so thought you may like a gratuitous Carbon framage shot!!!

have a few things to source for it as the headset is an integrated one and the seat post and clamp are larger than my current ones so keeping my eye's out for some nice light weight ones to fit in with the bike and shall be sourcing some aliminium sheet this weekend to make the rear drop out as it got lost between belfast and here! and then it will be all systems go! wahoo! cant wait!

so thats my new toy for the moment!! should keep me going whilst i take the car off the road for a few months at the end of the month!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

What make's the frame Timmo?

I know Giant do an all carbon hardtail frame XTC but not sure it's that?

Adrian
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

adrian, the only sticker ont he frame sais 'Carborn' tried a google and came up blankish! so guess it was a small company that made a few frames, It's Very well made with a lot of attention to detail,
its stupidly light though even with the heavy bb in it! at th emost its 5 years old i would say due to it being a carbon frame with disc mounts, and a splined bb/crank that was fitted when new with the frame!

got a few bits to get before i can build it up though, has an internal headset rather than the normal style, and a bigger seat post or shim it?? not to sure yet! and have to get some aliminium plate the weekend of my Neighbour to make a drop out as it managed to breakfree of the packaging in transport apparently! but i have a perspex template made up ready!! and need to get an external bb cup removal tool as mine is for the inner cup splines rather than the outer 8 pin tool, but have 3 weeks to sort it before i take the car of the road!!!
i can truely believe i am daddy cool towing the littluna round in the trailer then! hahahh!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Worth having a look here in case you can identify it from the diagram if you have trouble making one

I think it might be a Swiss BMC frame judging by the mounting locations for the cables etc, or possibly a Merida?

Reminds me of the project hardtail I bought on ebay that needed stripping to a bare frame and new running gear throughout :shock: use it to ride to the train station!
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

according to a chpa who used to build Carbon race bikes from the frame up it could be a bianchi, although without any significant marking it could in honesty be anything couldnt it!!
i shall persist witht he info digging as its always helpful to knwo what you have rather than having to spend days trying random bits out!!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!