1.9 ECUs with map sensor/wasted spark/throttle pot

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Simran
4000 rpm

1.9 ECUs with map sensor/wasted spark/throttle pot

Post by Simran »

Without revealing what im upto incase i look silly at the end of it all, does anyone know what psa cars that have a 1.9 petrol engine of any sort run ECUs that operate with wasted spark ignition, throttle pot, MAP sensors and temp sensor arrangements, as opposed to distributor, airflow meter and throttle position switch? The ones i know of already are the BX GTi 1.9 (late models) ZX 19i volcane and 405 1.9 SRi. Also, preferably cars that dont have CATs as i dont want to have to use a lambda sensor.

This info will make my search of a cheap donor parts vehicle much easier, once i have gathered more info i will reveal more about what it is exactly i am trying to do...and its not converting to run wasted spark if any of you are trying to guess... :lol:
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

i know them all and have ecu numbers for compatible units. Yes adding this to a BX is a good idea if you get them mapped and add carbs. No it wont work for a turbo, need many other things.

I've had numerous talks with Luke on teh subject, might be worth a quick Q+A?

you want MP3.1 Motronic, to my knowledge it wasn't fitted to the BX GTi models in this country but to those strange TRI or TRZ (which ever one it is) that they have in Austrailia. In the UK they where fitted to many of the BX 4x4 (GTi petrols), to the 405 SRi and to the ZX Volcane, so i guess that confirms what you knew from a PSA related stance.

Checking through my ECU reference files there are also the following citroen cars listed as carrying the MP3.1;
AX GTi 1.4 litre (0261200203, 0261200217 with CAT)
XM Si and SEi 2 litre (ecu number 0261200202)
ZX Volcane 1.9 litre (0261200212)

additonally the 405 possibly had MP3.2 (026120021?6/8) which is the version you NEED for a turbo!!!

other closely matching ECU number;
106 1.4 litre (same engine as the AX??)(0261200217)
306 MI 2litre (0261200218)
405 1.9 litre (0261200213)
405 2 litre (0261200218)
605 2 litre (0261200214/9)

hopefully that will give you a good start?
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Oh, also, contact Walbro and ask about there ECU for formula student, 100% mapable ECU that will go to 14,000 revs, can be used with a turbo, dizzy less control, 4 cylinders, is very very small and has a very good support backing from them, best bit, the ECU is only £80 and its totally sealed!
Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

Didnt realise normal GTis didnt have this system, been looking at it on my 4x4 and it seems perfect for what i need. Basically im going to be running bike throttle bodies on my car and as a get started set up i thought i could use this system to run the car with for a short while as a cheap and simple solution until i either can afford something better and more comprehensive (megasquirt) or realise that its actually perfectly fine for this application and keep it, as there wont be any other engine mods for a while after this so i wont need everything a standalone can do quite yet. So im now on the lookout for a dead volcane or 405 sri. Anyone have one they dont want :lol:

Im going to be using Suzuki GSXR 750/1000 throttle bodies on a cut down standard manifold which is an amazingly cheap way of fitting a throttle body setup. The runners are pretty much parallel to each other which is ideal and also saves me a couple of hundred pounds on ready made manifolds and a set of jenveys. Depending on how much space i am left with and how the air is getting to them, i may have to move the radiator down or use something smaller or move it forward towards the bumper using thinner fans behind it to let the throttle bodies breath properly. Luckily for me my brithday is just before christmas, so depending on how much money i am left with afterwards will determine how quickly this project moves forwards. I will carry this on in the members projects section once ive acquired the throttle bodies i am after.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

send me a PM with an email address with a BIG limit and i'll send you all the stuff for the Walbro Unit, i can almost guarantee it will be chaper than buying a donor, pulling the loom, fitting the loom to the BX and getting it re-mapped (because you will have to remap it!).

What state is the engine in? Don't go flogging a dead horse and convert to carbs is the original setup is flagging.