anyone know about transit van heating????

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

anyone know about transit van heating????

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hey folks, i have recently invested in a 96 transit 2.5di. i picked it up on the cheap for £230 because the owner had lost the keys! although he supplied me with a full brand new set as part of the sale! anyways the problem is the heating don't work inside. the hot/cold control was really tight so i took the dash off and pulled the flap open to the hot side and put it back again, but still no heat even when the engine temp it warm.

any ideas? cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Jezziebx16v

Post by Jezziebx16v »

Comman fualt the stiff heater knob (Yes I know what I said)

If you have opened the flap and still no heat its probably worth looking to see if it has a matrix! may have been removed and by-passed if it was leaking at some point. If it is still in place it may need flushing out.

I dont know anymore, but thats where I would start.

Jez
Past 16v's: 89 Ph1 Black, 90 Ph2 Grey, 89 Ph2 Black, 91 Ph2 Grey, 91 Ph2 Black.

Now. 94 Datsun Silvia S14 rice rocket, 85 Peugeot 505 Turbo, 77 Ford Capri.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

hey man thanks for the info! found the matrix, it was cold so i topped her up with alot of water and now ive got heat, but i have found a water leak coming from the pump, i've been told the timing belt dont need to come off the transit to change the pump so that'll be my next mission.

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

Low on waters allways good for transits with heater issues :lol:
Changing pump ain't hard and neithers timing belt, but make sure you remove the front of van first! its actaullty all clip together once the little 10mm bolts are undone!
only "special" tool you'll need is lump hammer and a viscous fan wrench to get the fan off, but first check which hand thread it is.........

And join the transit van club Forum!!!! theyre very helpfull.

http://www.fordtransit.org/forum/
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

thanks ollie, i have joined the forum!, they are very helpfull! i topped the water up and to my delight i have heat!!! but the downturn being they have advised that i change the belt and tensioner as the water has prolly contaminated the belt etc.my local factor has quoted me £110 for a new belt/tensioner kit, water pump and thermostat. think i will leave it for a week or so as im not using the van yet.

thanks for the reply's, cheers rossco

christhelion
Tick Over

Post by christhelion »

I recently changed my water pump on my transit. I reckon it's a 2 hour job. Or it would have been if I'd have known I needed the viscous fan tool (from halfords, cheap too). take the front of the van off which is about 4 bolts, rad out, belts off and it's there. Not a difficult job at all. You could even get away with not taking the van off if you had a tool to get into the torx bit near the fans pulley (you'll see what I mean).
Yamaha RXS100
VW Polo Coupe Boulevard 1043cc!!
Skoda Felicia 1.9D
Ford Sierra 1.8LX
Peugeot Partner 1.9D
Vauxhall Astra 1.4 Merit
1999 Ford Transit 190 LWB Hi-Cube
1986 Honda VF750F
VW Polo 1.0L
1992 Citroen BX GTi 4x4
Kawasaki ZX-9R B2 1995
christhelion
Tick Over

Post by christhelion »

when I say take the van off.. of course I mean fan :)

I only just read that you can get away without using the special tool (posted above). Also I used a strap wrench ont he fan pulley to stop it turning while I undid the bolts.
Yamaha RXS100
Skoda Felicia 1.9D
Ford Sierra 1.8LX
Peugeot Partner 1.9D
Vauxhall Astra 1.4 Merit
1986 Honda VF750F
VW Polo 1.0L
1992 Citroen BX GTi 4x4
Kawasaki ZX-9R B2 1995
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

hey man thanks for the reply but its an old thread :D i fixed it quite a while ago 8) . a standard 32mm spanner did the job with the help of large flat edge screw driver locked in between the nuts to prevent spinning and a 1/4" drive socket with torx bit holder. i did it in about 1.5 hrs without removing any additional parts. got a pump off ebay for a tenner and it hasnt leaked since. it works great now heats up the cabin in no time after covering about a mile or two.

im now about to take on the fuel pump and egr mod which the tranny van club site members say gives massive power gains with no cost, giving more power especially in the mid range without effecting the fuel consumption. for a £220 van its done me proud, never broken down once and had it 11 months now and covered 8k miles. its true the 2.5di engines are bullet proof. i drove it home 60 miles on the weekend at max speed all the way with no complaints.

cheers rossco

christhelion
Tick Over

Post by christhelion »

yeah, I noticed it was old after I'd posted those two.

My van was bought for £1800 in about 2004 with 164k miles, it's got 223k on it now. it's needed a fuel pump (which was £800) and some consumables. Oh, it's broken rear leaf springs twice too but it does get fully loaded at times. I've had that one flat out from manchester to coventry a couple of times a month and it's been fine. I even did about 10 miles once thinking there was a headwind keeping me back to 65mph.. but I was in 4th. :) Doesn't owe anyone anything that van (unlike my gti 4x4). The only trouble is nowadays the turbo feels non-existent but for the miles I can't complain.
Yamaha RXS100
Skoda Felicia 1.9D
Ford Sierra 1.8LX
Peugeot Partner 1.9D
Vauxhall Astra 1.4 Merit
1986 Honda VF750F
VW Polo 1.0L
1992 Citroen BX GTi 4x4
Kawasaki ZX-9R B2 1995