Ugly New addition!!!

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Ugly New addition!!!

Post by Daniel B »

Look what I've bought :shock:

Same as above, but a W in Red.

Dan
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

heheheh! there not bad old cars them dan! as reliable as they get really being jap!!
had one that sounds the same as yours in the garage! maroon with cream leather trim and cream carpets, except the owners had an irish wolf hound!
for what they are you cant go wrong mate!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

Thanks Timmo, but boy is it ugly!

It has non working aircon, but has a CD player which makes up for it.

Primary reason for the purchase is that I will soon be commuting 500 miles a week, for a limited amount of time, and there was no way I was putting those miles on the BX.

£2450, full Nissan SH, and 52K on the clock - bit scruffy, but it seems to do the job, I have decided it is like having a permanent rental car, I don't care about it, and it drives like one :lol:

It also has a towbar, and managed to bag myself a nice Thule 'Bike on' bike rack I think it's called, off Ebay for £31!
Price new is £110 - also comes with locks, and he gave us some ratchet straps too which work out as £7 each, so quite a result.

Means the BX can put her feet up a bit, no more having to put the seats down, and also means I can put the stereo back in - assuming it still works....

I need to get 2 new tyres for it, I looked on Black circles, and seems I can get some Arrowspeed (that well known brand) fitted for £42 each, all costs included - tyre size is 185/65/15 H - does that sound ok?

Don't really see the point in spending £80 a tyre when it isn't a performance car :lol:

Any other suggestions of places to try?

Dan

Dan
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

drives like a rental car! thats my fav expression when driving someone elses car hahahah!
seriously though they are a little bland to drive but you know that it will get you from a to b every day of the week every week of the year!
for tyres mate, grab the yellow pages and ring 5 companies in your area and see what they come up with! that price is pretty good though!
i always ring the half dozen around me up when i need tyres! normally always go to the one place but gives you an idea hey!!!
Paint on them comes up nice when doen properly! (machine polishing wise!!) but as a work horse its no bother!
you cant go wrong with one for just using mate!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Damn good choice Dan (if i say so myself). :shock: - everytime I look at mine I can't help but think how ugly it is.
Mines' a V-plate spruce green estate, boring as sin to drive but reliable as......a Nissan.
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

Hi Tony,
is this the PA (Primeras anonymous) club coming out!

Glad that's another vote of confidence anyway :D

What engine/spec is yours, and what do you use it for?

Mine is a lowly 1.8 S, a few toys, enough to keep me happy, and decent economy for 500-800 miles a week, with fuel being £4.50 a gallon and all.

If you look on Autotrader for Primera estates, there aren't actually that many out there.

Dan
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

thats because they look a lot better than the hatchback version heheheh!
smae as a lot of the modern estates or shooting breaks, avants, sportwagon's or what other glorified name for estate they can come up with heheheh!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Dan wrote:
is this the PA (Primeras anonymous) club coming out!
Looks that way but don't tell anyone!

Mines a 1.8S, with climate control and factory supplied balaclava :lol: . Had it 9 months now and only had to do the rear pads - and thats in almost 12000K of motoring. I find they're a good car to cover the miles in and fairly economical too.
Cheers
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Intersting choice but good value at that price and won't break down.

Do you know what the aircon problem is :?:

Mike P.
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

That's good news Tony, I am planning to cover about 10k from September up until Christmas, then should reduce a lot - I hope!

As I will be able to claim back at 40p a mile, I reckon the car will be paid for by about then as well :D

I've just had it serviced, but I know it needs a couple of tyres, has 12 months MOT, and tax til December, so fingers crossed it fulfills the role I have for it.

The aircon problem is that the condenser is fubarred!
£350 to fix - if the car is reliable and decent enough to keep, then I will get that done next spring in time for summer, might use it for a blat down to France in that case.

This one had a major service 12K ago, and a minor one 6K ago, plus the one I just had done.

Is it correct these have timing chains rather than cambelts - any idea when you need to get the tensioners changed, and how costly it is?

Oh yeh, I also need to get another key made up, which is £130 :evil:

Dan
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

At least we are approaching the time of year over here that the lack of air-con won't matter too much.

Mike P.
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

dan, keep your eye's on ebay for the aircon bit matey! occasionally they pop up very cheap! my bro got a bnib aircon rad for his 406 delivered for £17!!!
keys are extortionate mate! one way of doing it is to get a simple key made up at mr minit so that you can get in and out of the car etc but not start it but depends on how many you have to start with!! the wife's fiat only came with one key and she didnt think much of it then but they are a shocker to replace too! although there are places popping up that will code a new key for you at a resonable price nowadays!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

On the key front, you could get some standard ones made and then tape the immobiliser bit up by the ring on the column inside.
Then the immobiluiser is allways fooled and the keys all work!

On my Berlingo I got a free running ECU done, and just pulled the buzzer and bulb off the Immobiliser!
Normally wouldn't bother but then Citroen keys are £35 a key and its still worth it as the ECU was cooked anyway.
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Hi Dan

That's a pain on the air-con front :cry:

As Timmo says, I'm sure you'll find one for the right price - worth trying to find out who makes the part and whether it's also fitted to other cars to broaden the search.

My estate of choice was a Passat 1.8T auto - £2.5k only gets you an S-plate (although mine only had 45k on it when bought last year).

Adrian
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

Thanks for the ideas on keys - thing is the remote turns the alarm off and un-immobilises the car, so if I lost the only key with fob I would be properly knackered.

I could leave the top fob part in the car I suppose, not like anyone is likely to nick it is it :lol:

Aircon is a bit of a bummer, but I would rather that than an unreliable car, and as Mike rightly points out the weather will not require aircon very shortly.

I have just e-mailed this place: http://www.coolcaraircon.co.uk/parts.htm
See what they come back with - look like keen prices, but not sure about the fitment to be honest.

Timmo, will have a look on ebay, but I think I would be too worried that the part was pre-knackered!

As the aircon is sat idle, does anyone know if I am likely to need more than just the condenser - ie a compressor as well, does inactivity make it more likely to have other problems?

Cheers

Dan