Berlingo anyone?

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Toddman
Administrator

Berlingo anyone?

Post by Toddman »

Well as some of you may know in the floods of 2007 my mum killed our beloved ZX TD and as I was away at the time panic bought a VW Polo :shock:
Aside from the fact that the car is too small it is awfull, drives and handles like a pudding!!

Anyhow for various reasons dad has said he wants a Berlingo and after we test drove one I have to say I am impressed.
We have another one to look at on saturday a 90HP HDi 2004 model with A/C and electric pack and if mum can get on ok we are having it so does anyone know of any niggles to look for ?

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

90hp HDi is a total lemon, beyond being slow to stupidly slow, and not much at pulling its own weight up a hill, its also rather uneconomic. That is at least when sat next to a 1.6 16v HDI, whoof, now they're rather tasty little things with a much better fuel consumption! I am basing this on your rents doing relatively low speed (sub 60mph) and probably low mileage (12k a year or less).

After that, i think they rust out in the boot floor/seems first (certainly what i was told, and looked for when recently shopping for the same for my grandparents), later models have more cubbie holes that the moon BUT check there movement, if they have been damaged they are difficult to get hold of. I suspect like a lot of the more recent Cit's you need to check the seat squb for heavy wear. Check the service history against mileage, as i seem to remember a big servicing bill around the higher mileages.
Toddman
Administrator

Berlingo

Post by Toddman »

Thankfully we live in Lincolnshire AKA the flat lands so lack of hill climbing ability is not a worry :D and all three we have viewed have shown wear on the drivers seat.

Thanks for the info though we will give the boot floor a good inspection and xhexk the trim for damage.

Cheers
Luke
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

I own a Dec 02 1.4 petrol Berly which I bought new and all I can say is it's
the best Citroen I ever owned, space abundance, power OK, comfy,
ride excellent. etc...

It is also the most reliable, no issues at all, only recently at
120,000kms did I spend a sum of money on it,
New alternator, left power window regulator,drop link rods.
t-belt/tensioner/water pump, top overhaul, clutch change + cable,
boot struts, engine mtgs (3),new frt brake disc. a/c blower motor.

From new until last year only changed 1 fan relay, Ign. coil, 2 clutch cables,
brake pads frt, timing belt/bearing at 60K kms, apart from oil changes all using synthethic oils.

The rest is still all original but I expect a few more parts need replacing soon, like shocks, rear slave pumps and brake linings. fan motors.

Go for it , it is really a great vehicle. but the diesels I dunno
as we have only petrol versions here.
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

A van with windows but again they may be suitable for the job you need it for Luke, the old models are very good value now due to the new one being out. Avoid ex motability ones if the have been abused. As vanny says the 1.616v Hdi is good but im my experience the 2.0HDi 90 ISNT that bad as its got the same bhp as a BX TD. For the tiny miles your folks do maybe a 1.4/1.6 petrol would be ok as they are very cheap.
Toddman
Administrator

Berlingo

Post by Toddman »

Thanks chaps.
Well we bought it and have to say it is a cracking motor :D
Proper little workhorse and quite nice inside being the phase 2 version.

Happy that we are back in a Citroen 8)

Cheers
Luke