UK to get 50mph national speed limit next year-petition

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

UK to get 50mph national speed limit next year-petition

Post by Mike E (uk) »

It is now planned to make all 60mph limits into 50 limits, and enforce the limit strictly with numerous average speed cameras.

This is to start NEXT year!

If you do not want to drive under such blanket limitations, not based on actual road situations, please add your name to the petition.

This rule will make owning any fast car almost pointless.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/noNSLreduction/

thanks,

Mike
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

what a bunch of assho***, well i have signed it :D , 3 times :lol:

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Mike,

Got your email, done and signed.

Mike P.
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
cossie
4000 rpm

Post by cossie »

And I love my STR :cry:
1988 16v

2002 S-Type "R" (rocket?)
Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

I can see road deaths going up due to this and it takes very little thought to realise it sp why cant the prats in government see it? Because the limit will be reduced, a big number of drivers will think it is actually safe to stay at a constant 50 along the entire stretch of controlled road, forgetting you cant do 50 round all corners. How many people are going to switch their cruise control on and end up heading too fast into corners because they have switched off a bit due to not having to control their speed constantly to suit the road conditions. Cruise control works well on motorways but is going to catch alot of people out here. Also a considerable amount of concentration is going to be taken off the road and onto your speedo = more accidents. I would feel much safer being allowed to do my own speed and keep full concentration on the road, chances are i probably wouldnt be going much over 50 in most stretches of road anyway.

Did anyone hear the news about that lad crashing his car fitted with nitrous - all the road safety organisations instantly call for a ban on all engine modifications. Its misinformed idiots like them that seem to get the governments attention yet they havent thought through what they are saying, its not the cars that kill people, its the immature young drivers that are in control of them. Sorry to hijack the thread with my little rant but this reminded me of what i heard.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

gotta agree with Simran here, its the minority that cause all of the rest to suffer!
Speed in itself does not kill, Its mis use of speed that does!
the majority of accidents are caused by people traveling too fast for the conditions, and a lot of the people that crash recentlay after passing their tests are due to driving too fast for their abilities,
anyone can drive fast, but to drive fast in complete control is a different matter!
you hear a lot of people that drive intpo the back of others complaining it wasnt their fault, but driving into the back of another car is effectively an admission of guilt! a lack of concentration and driving too close for the conditions/circumstances!! you should always be a safe enough distance that you can stop without casuing an accident! (tell that to 90% of the german car drivers!!)

the dropping of the limit to 50 will do very little for the stats, if your doing 50 down a country lane and plough into a tractor its going to hurt, same as if your doing 60, it'll hurt if your doing 20 too!
a lot of the younger drivers see the limits as a target speed to drive at rather than the maximum recommended speed for the road, there seems to be a general lack of ability to read a road now adays, and the ability to drive more powerfull cars sooner after a test doesnt help improve the qualty and standard of driving,

i think the Govt. has a few more issue's to sort before chopping the sdpeed on roads that to the masses are not an accident risk,
as a point in question, the Govt. made it law that all new bicycles sold must be fitted with a bell and wheel reflecters, now thats great alerts oncommers etc to the bike and makes you slight;ly more visable inthe dark, but you can still perfectly legally ride a bike without a helmet, so yup, they heard you coming but you still cracked your bonce open on the floor when you fell off causing more damage than the bell could have saved you from! also you can get charged if your riding a bike with out a helmet on if you are carryign a helmet withyoU! yet if you dont have one your fine!

sorry for the rather OT ranting but is an airing of my views on the subject!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

This won't happen :wink:
RobC
3000 rpm

Post by RobC »

fuss about nothing folks - i work in urban road safety and this is just a mooted idea for specific problem areas on narrow rural roads that through a quirk of history have a 60 mph limit when a 40 mph limit is much more appropriate - we're not talking about your archetypal 60 mph trunk road, so don't get your knickers in a twist and carry on enjoying your valvers :D
Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

8)
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I Hope you are right Rob.

But this country is getting more and more safety obsessed, and the government are seeking ways of raising money all the time.

Incidently, the biggest cause of accidents by far is driver misattention.
But they have not invented a camera for that.

Mike
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

you lot should live in warwickshire, there wont be many national speed limit single carriageway roads by the end of the year if they keep up the current pace.