New bouncy motor on the drive!!!!

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Timmo
Full Throttle

New bouncy motor on the drive!!!!

Post by Timmo »

After a month or so of searching for a larger car for our needs, stumbled on one by accident 5 mins up the road!!
had been looking at Xant estates, 406 estates, picasso's, 806/synergie/ulysse etc around a grand and finding all the good ones at almost the Opposite end of the country, and exhausting ebay countless times we'd decided a few more ££££ might help, then just searching for estates closest to me this one popped up!!!
Needs tidying on the outside and drivers seats worn (eye's on a leather interior!!) seems a good allrounder! passed mot with no advisory's, recent sphere's, 3 owner, new tyres blah blah blah!!

very happy considering Everything still works! :shock: :D and for the price of £450!
gonna give it a Proper Good clean up in the next few weeks, get it looking proper!! but is lovely to be back driving a smooth comfy bouncer again!!!!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

The next best thing after a Bx :D

Still no joy with selling the Clio then :?:

Mike P
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

no, have a few bits gone, but will leave it till the end of the listing on ebay then take off the good bits and ebay them tow the car up the yard!! or get one of the local scrap peeps to take it!! have a notice in the window and will print off some little flyers and ghet all the clio's in the village!!! but have no enthusiasm for it lol!!!

the Xant certainly is a good second for the Bx! took the roof bars off last night too! Dont need them thingy's hahahha! there in the shed, but is a good car, especially for the money, will see us a good few years and especially as have a Citroen mad mate who Loves his Xants!! he's checking it over this weekend for me, and i get a hoon in a Ds!! - Old one!!! proper floaty ride!!!! 8)

we got to the point where the fiats Great but could just do with a bit more space for the gilrs!! anything over a week and you have to start filling the footwells up in the back and the gap between them lol!!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
bxmark
3000 rpm

Post by bxmark »

Can't fault the Xantia , had a few myself . Best car in their class at the time IMO , is it a 1.9td ?

Mark
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

I know people tend to slate them but I had no problems with my Xantia TD, it was in essence a good, soli, reliable car...

Mind you, i've just gone to a C5 so fingers crossed reliability's still there!
Now listen here you mullet...
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

yup tis the 1.9td lump, Pre hdi, seems a great motor too, had a small rtrip up to a friends today (wife driving as not physically up to it), was very smooth! lovely over speed bumps too!!! 8)

got my Citroen mad mate over tomorrow in his DS!! and his good lady and son (his wife is as mad as he is on green blooded Cit's!!), they all want a good look around it too hahhaha! he's promised me a drive of the DS for a drive on the Xant, - he very kindly offered to bring a load of tools down incase it needs anhything!!!

did give half the dash a clean with a couple of baby wipes though!! - wife had nipped in to get a present for a friends littlun's 1st birthday, so do have half a clean dash now! hahah! looks much better on the passenger side, drivers is still grouted though lol! and the old gyuy had a fondness for Duck oil so need to give it a good scrub inside to get rid of that Awful smell!! also need to get a coupl eof new compounding heads for the machine so can start on the paintowrk too! is a nice flat laquer silver at the mo! Needs to be Shiney! hahah! will post updates as i go if i remember to take pictures!!! :wink: is a WIP car but will look great when done! especially if i get a good price on Full leather trim and carriage! :wink: :wink: 8)
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
bxmark
3000 rpm

Post by bxmark »

Look forward to the pics Timmo

Mark
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Well!!!
update time!! cars been checked over quickly by my mate and all seems good!!
Almost bought a leather trim for it but after having a close look and a sit in not so convinced!! very plasticy feel and during the morning warth here (25degrees at the time was in the yard) wasnt very nice to sit in! Despite the Good price have decided not too!! is also in a hatch and the back seats uprights are different so would mean a swap wth a guy up the line who has the estate backs for his hatch etc. and i cant be bothered hahahah!

gave the passenger wing a test machine and the following edge of the bonnet to see what it comes up like and am pleased with the results, only a quick 5 mins machine wipe down and wax over to protect it but think it'll come up lovely!!!

Popped up ot see an old trade mate today as he does a lot of wheel refurbing and got the wheels balanced to cure the shaking at 70, Mate wouldnt let me pay for it though despite my efforts so ended up helping him with a 911 turbo he had in for a spruce up! 8)
but gave it a good Scrub up after got home and picked oldest girly up from school, she helped with the hose and also gave her a bit of clay to use too! bless her and she helped dry it off after and wipe down the insides, is looking a lot better now, trims are now shiny again rather than with Years oif brake dust Embedded on them hahahah!

have a few quick pictures uploading so will post them up Dreckly,
but am Loving being back in a Ball'd car!! and cam make suprising progress with the old oil burner! :D

will get this one finished and then have the lil fiat to give some love too! been a smidge neglected! :( :oops: :shock: might try and do it pre mot as shiny cars always pass! :shock: :D :D :P
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

couple of quick pictures of the Xant post Scrub!
spot the difference!!! passenger edge of the bonnet and passenger wing test machined!

most panels have scratches similar to this, but silver doesnt show them up well and am not going to Bore you with 30 pictures or so of panels!

biggest issue will be sorting out the chrome strips on the sides,

any bright idea's??/ wondered if anyone does a 'chrome' tape??? or if i just used black electrical tape and put them as black?? or could do white??

but it should come up nice!!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

Don't know about the strips, but i am tempted to dump my C5 on your drive for a polish! How much do ye charge? :wink:
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

have got some silver tape on the way fir the trims!! exhaust repair tape stylee very cheap so will have a go!! ;-)

What colours the C5 Jay?? am sure we can sort something out fella! :wink: :wink:
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

Timmo wrote:What colours the C5 Jay?? am sure we can sort something out fella! :wink: :wink:
Wicked Red Metallic... Queens heads are good currency where i be from :wink: :lol:
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Queens Heads! that amounts to treason does it not!??! :wink: :wink: :wink:
Wicked Red will come up a treat!!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

Timmo wrote:Queens Heads! that amounts to treason does it not!??
Probably :lol: Availability is the problem... you can have one now, but you'll have to wait 'til William is crowned for another. Alternatively, if Charles does make the throne i'll have to raise you a Princess Consort as a sub 'til Kate gets her tiara... :wink:

How long do you reckon it'd take to polish the C5 roughly?
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

if you want to fully machine polish one, assuming is washed and ready to go, you;ll be looking 3-4 hours, it'll need a quick clay then tape up any non painted trims (not looked at a C5 for such job so not sure on quantity of non painted bits) and window rubbers, machine polish with coarser compound, wipe down with Isopropyl alcohol, machine with fine compound and wipe down again, then poplish, seal, wax, remove tape, wipe over windows and door shuts for residue, treat rubber trims, wipe over tyres and thats about it! :shock:
oh and can expect to throw in some shoulder pain too! :shock: :D
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!