Xsara 306

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Gary C
4000 rpm

Xsara 306

Post by Gary C »

It appears there are a number of parts that are directly interchangeable between the Xsara VTS and 306-16v.

From what I can work out the engine is the same unit.

Gearbox is the same - different number of forward gears though.

Torsion bar set up is the same.

Brakes are the same.

Struts are the same.

Am I right with the above? Are there other mechanical parts that are used in both cars?
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Hi Gary

I believe there are detail differences in the cambelt area between the 2, with the Xsara being far less inclined to suffer tensioner failure than the GTi-6 as a result!

Brakes are certainly the same, and be surprised if there's any difference with suspension either. Worth checking out motorsportworld web site as they list manufacturers part numbers if you want to be sure. I bought Black Diamond brakes for the BX and Xsara from them and good service.

Ask John about the crank damper on a Xsara - apparently his face was a picture after he'd replaced the cambelt on ours and started it up to it sounding like a bag of bolts! The damper has a hole in it for timing the bottom end.....but the damper is partly rubber and moves over time so it's fine till you remove it! Worth bareing in mind when you do the belt as it's a PITA

Adrian
Toddman
Administrator

xsara

Post by Toddman »

The 306 GTi-6 shares the same engine and the basic floorpan but the vts has more than one type of braking system.
The vts with Girling brakes is the same as the GTi-6 set up though.

Chances rae that the vts suspension may be simlar to th epugs but the vts set up was done by citroensport so is likely to be superior to the 306.

The early 306 engines did suffer with cambelt tensioner failure but the lkater ones seem to be stronger.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Gary C
4000 rpm

Post by Gary C »

Are there differences in the Xsara VTS and Pug 306-16 exhaust systems? Pug appears to have an extra bend in the centre section in the catalogues but have not seen one in the flesh. Maybe route thru fuel tank is different.
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

I know they're different, at least different enough that there isn't an off the shelf exhaust listed for the VTS (at least there wasn't when I got the Powerflow one for ours, in the absence of a better option)