VW Campers

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Toddman
Administrator

VW Campers

Post by Toddman »

Anybody here know much about the VW Type 2 namely the T2 bay window model :?:

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

not a great deal except that be careful of the lower sills, the heat ducts come from the engine and travel to the front of the car along the inside of the sill for the heater and they suffer quyite badly with rotten sills and heating ducts! (condensation inside the tubes etc!) also the heaters are carp due to the fact the heat comes from 8ft behind you!
Not half as desireable as the splitty's! (cousin of mine has two splitty vans! one original german spec!worth a lot of money!)
apart from the usual bottom of the doors and boot lid etc, also ex surfers vans tend to have a lot more hidden rust than the eye sees due to being parked close to salty air for longer periods!
Dopnt know if that helps in anyway!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

You can fit a Porsche engine to them! More common conversion is to fit a later injected engine from a water cooled van and if you can find one the turbo lump from the quattro version......

Mate of mine had one - you have to watch the engines unless there's bills to prove work at some point. They'll run for ever until they spit a piston out the side due to bore wear and head failure combined.

Adrian
tim leech
7000 rpm

Re: VW Campers

Post by tim leech »

Toddman wrote:Anybody here know much about the VW Type 2 namely the T2 bay window model :?:

Cheers
Luke

Yep they rust very badly, however there real easy to work on and tune up and you coudl buy new ones up until lats year 8) All parts are avaiable but the prices are going up quickly as "splittys" are fetching silly money (£15000!) so the attention has turned to the "bay"