Civic Type R

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Timmo wrote:i do admit that for comfy long distance cruising and having the ingear accelleration then yes a modern comon rail deisel takes some beating BUT, they lack the driver input so much! the moment when you hanging it round a tight bend on the edge of grip in a petrol up at 7K+ the Deisels Just dont cut it!
I do know what your saying tim, but to make a deisel pay now a days you need to be on 18k+ miles!
Sorry Timmo in my experience in the car trade thats just not the case anymore, a diesel will cost approx £1000ish more to buy then its petrol equivilent. Over a 3 year period the diesel will do approx 15mpg more per each gallon. Ok diesel is 3p a litre more which is 13p per gallon more so on a 12 gallon tank is £1.56 more to fill it up but you will get 195 more miles from it (15mpg x 12gallons) from it! which on a normal petrol engine take approx 5 more gallons to do those extra miles, 5 gallons of fuel is what £23?

Add into account a diesel is approx £35-60 per year cheaper on road tax, normally a bit cheper to insure (a polo diesel is only £35 for a whole years road tax,i Kid yee not!) plus after 3 years/36k miles as a rule most diesel hatches will be worth somewhere between £600-£900 more in residual value than the petrol model.

That becomes far more on the bigger stuff, as a example a 3 year old Passat Tdi is worth £1200 more than its 2.0 petrol sister (which is slower), which cost £1200 less to buy in 2004! On the big mercs and Jag X type diesels that figure is double that!

And to be honest who goes round corners at 7000rpm lol! :D

Im not a diesel lover but if I was buying a new car there is no way I would buy a petrol seeing how the market is going.