Fan question, and overheating....

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Fan question, and overheating....

Post by MoRtYMer »

Hi, does the radiator fans work the 2 on the 2nd speed?

Mines are:

1st speed: two fans on low.

2nd speed: only one fan (the one next to the intake of the radiator).

Is this correct, or should the two fans work all the time?

My car is overheating, as soon it warms up to 90º never goes below that even when in open road should be below that... On trafic gets too close to 110º. The radiator was cleaned a while ago, but maybe it just needs replacement...

Oh and does anyone know if there is any place that sells the water tube that goes from the thermostat casing to the radiator? Mine it will blow soon if i don't replace it, and at citroen they don't have them anymore... :\
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Cant answer the twin fans question (but i think they should both come on) but the rad sounds like it defo needs replacing! my old rad used to hold the temp up high wihtin a coupleof miles of the house, re[placed it and now it sits straight up in the middle when moving along and rarely goes over 90!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
iain a
3000 rpm

Post by iain a »

replace the fan switch( the little 3-pin thing, screws into the pipe at the bottom there) located at the bottom of the radiator, to the left (if you are looking at the front of the car) with the type from a bx TZD... i had same problem as you...110 is not exactly overheating, its just that the original fan switches like to wait until the last minute..... as it staying at 90 when on the move, thats fairly normal for me aswell...if its supposed to be less, than i'll think about changing the thermostat...as it is, my motor stays at 90, whether in traffic or on the move, though it does go down to 80-85 now i think about it...(whilst on the move)

i'm sure someone can post pictures and part numbers, my 3 year old girl is currently battering me with a teddy...so i'm slightly busy :roll:
oh bugger!! What now?!?
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Post by MoRtYMer »

well i forgot to tell all the details.

The radiator have been cleaned (unmount and cleaned), the thermostat is new, i have changed the water pump, and the fan switch is new too, and has lower temp settings than the original one (87º-84º and 94º-88º, IIRC). I've checked the temps on the sensors with a laser thermometer and they are correct, so i think i will need to change the radiator... I will try another one from a friend to see if that's the problem...

Does anyone know where are the relays for the radiator fans? Its one relay per fan? I think that they are on the firewall near the fans for the heater, but there are 4 or 5 relays in there, and i don't know exactly what each one does what...

Cheers
João Proença
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

to my knowledge only aircon BX's and some very late BX's (estates and possibly some 16v's) have relays for the fans, however thats in the UK and they might have ben intorduced earlier in warmer climates.

When they are fitted in the UK they are fitted in the same place as the fog light relays in the scuttle next to the right hand fan. A 16v with relays for the fans should end up filiing all the available mounting locations on the bracket in the scuttle and thus i think there should be a total of eight relays (two back to back for each hole, though it could be 5 holes, ten relays), in addition to this all UK 16v's i've paid attention to all have the hole closest to the wing available (though could be the hole closest the fan and old age is getting to me) so i would suggest that if you have relays in this normally blank location that they might be for the fans!

Also as i understood it, you will normally get both at half speed then BOTH at full speed (this is deffinately the case where relays/aircon is fitted) however check the wiring and you might find only one comes on at full speed!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

dont know if bx is the same but relays for zx twin fans are in a small triangular box mounted on the cowling between the two fans
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hello,

I've just fitted a Diesel fan switch (while the car is off the road awaiting an engine rebuild)

RADIATOR FAN SWITCH TO FIT:

BX 1.8D,INJ,NO TURBO 09/85 - 06/93

BX 1.8D 01/87 - 06/93

BX 1.9D 03/84 - 10/93 (3 TERMINAL)

UNIPART NUMBER GVS155

I had a look at GSFcarparts but they list a 3 pin fan switch for all models - not sure what temp it cut's in at.

I've also got a 83 degree thermostat. I think the the fan switch and thermostat need to be matched for the best effect...

I've also replaced the radiator - it's a "ordonez" brand one so I'll see how I go with that.

If none of this works then I'd suspect the head gasket - if it hasn't been done recently then it might be due...mine was :(

Finally, because the fan temp switch connector was dodgy on mine, I soldered 8" long leads to the temp switch and crimped a locking 3 way connector block in so that the connection was secure (but could be undone).

When it's 40 degrees celsius in summer and you live up a hill, the cooling system needs all the help it can get!

Cheers,

Chris