ECU Serial Numbers (typical)

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

martyn wrote:
Vanny wrote: It would be interesting to see what differences there actually are in the looms between age and ecu number!
My spec is as follows:- 3 ROW ECU 0261 200 354 / ORG 5121(Oct 1990) / No wing mounted relays / Large round multi pin engine loom connector.
And for the first 6 months of ownership I used standard unleaded with no audible pinking
thats what i have in the J-Plate donor, its my personal preference for looms as the big connector looks hard :D The relays i expect to be
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yes, Vanny you're a star...absolutely, I don't think I've even SEEN a 3-row chip come to think of it...confused I was!!!

Well the serial numbers check out, so will keep you posted on the developments with the chip.

Thanks
Toddman
Administrator

chip

Post by Toddman »

stevens wrote:Yes, Vanny you're a star...absolutely, I don't think I've even SEEN a 3-row chip come to think of it...confused I was!!!

Well the serial numbers check out, so will keep you posted on the developments with the chip.

Thanks
The chips from the 2 row and 3 row ecus actually look the same - I had a 3 row chip and it got fitted to a 2 row ecu but no damage was incurred. It worked fine when fitted to a 3 row ecu.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Vanny
Web Support

Re: chip

Post by Vanny »

Toddman wrote: I had a 3 row chip and it got fitted to a 2 row ecu
a chip FOR a 3 row main connector ECU rather than a eprom with three rows of pins i hope :D
Toddman
Administrator

Re: chip

Post by Toddman »

Vanny wrote:
Toddman wrote: I had a 3 row chip and it got fitted to a 2 row ecu
a chip FOR a 3 row main connector ECU rather than a eprom with three rows of pins i hope :D
Aye it was just the "chip" a BBR starchip as it happens - I just assumed it had come out of a 2 row ecu but after the car failed to start I thought I had better check :oops: And the chip was pretty much plain looking no numbers that actually matched to any ecu numbers just a BBR code on it so an easy mistake of course :D

Cheers
Luke
Toddman
Administrator

chips

Post by Toddman »

Just to clarify in laymans terms the way we name the different ecus as 2 row and 3 row is purely based on their external apearance and the rows refer to th enumber of rows of pins that they have on the side where the loom plugs in.

What most people including myself call a chip is just the EPROM inside as Vanny has explained, and ALL of these chips have just 2 rows.

2 rows ecu = ML4.1
3 row ecu = ML1.3

Cheers
Luke
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

91' Citroën BX GTi 16v