Valeting Products

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Vanny
Web Support

Valeting Products

Post by Vanny »

Where do you buy your Valeting Products?

I'm looking at Farecla G3 1kg tub, cheapest i can get it is £8.52+£4.95p+p

Whats better G3 as a liquid or G3 as a paste? I guess it mostly comes doen to method of application? I really need to do soemthign about the state of the paint of the BX and it's going to need some serious elbow into it so i'm tempted to buy a machine.

SO then the question becomes what to buy, how powerful etc and whats the worst damage i can do to the paint work? Half considering a full repaint but i reckon what under the oxidised waste will actually be quite good!

I know the topic has been covered loosely before but i'm after something quite deffinitive!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

This idea may sound crazy, but hear me out.......

In Nelson, Lancashire there is a guy who trades under the name of Ansell Auto Care. He used to do the valleting for Ford Motor Company at their car shows. I know its a 90 minute drive, but the quality of his work is fantastic.

For a full vallet & professional T-Cut he would charge around £40.00. I've had many cars (including Citroens with their paint that dissolves in the wash) that he has been able to miraculously restore.
The botttom line is if he can't restore your shine, then it probably needs a respray. It may also work out cheaper than buying a polisher etc.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

now thats usefull to know Toby and the sort of investment id prefer to make (ie one that will work!). It's the way i would prefer to go but couldn't find anyone round here that looked or sounded any good, would rather have a jaunt in the valver and get it done right than screw it up myself!
For ref;

Ansell Autocare
Fleet Street Nelson, Lancashire, BB9 7XN

However i'm still in the market for product if only to learn by abusing the AX into submission! Might just give me longer to do it now though.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Okay, Farecla G3 comes in a few formats, firstly is the original paste, then you have advanced paste and then the latest is the dry system,
the original paste comes in small tubes, big tubes, small tubs, big tubs and Huge tubs! now this formula is pretty much how it was when Ferecla started out making polishes half way through last century!
The advanced comes in tubes and bottles, and is slightly different to the original, minor improvements have been made but not a lot,
and the Dry use is very different! not used it as i get on very well with the original! (I also use G10 - ultra fine compound!)

Tbh vanny all you would need is a small tube (400g) of G3, i have a couple of tubes and one has doen half a dozen cars and 2 boats and still has plenty left! and the big tubs can go off if left for too long!
You apply it by hand or machine and use water in a spray bottle to dampen down the panel to aid the compound in breaking down! I would probably use 2x 50p sized blobs on the machine head to do the bonnet!
Using compound by hand over the whole of the car is going to be very hard Graft! but it is doable! personally i use a machine to work with as the finish is pretty perfect afterwards! but i have been doing it a significant number of years!!

There are many places where you can get the car machine polished but finding one that is affordable and good will be hard! Matey who charges £40 for it is not making any money on it at all - if he is his Hourly rate is a pittance! (DONT go to a Detailer! you will pay through the nose for the same work as a proper valeter and only get the outside done!! you would be looking into £200+ for an exterior rejuvination compared to £100 from a good trade valeter and with the valeter the inside gets doen too!)

I would more than happily do it for you Vanny, the only problem being the 500 or so miles between us!!!

As for prices of compound then have a look in your yellow pages for bodyshop suppliers like Brown brothers or Hex holdings etc as they will supply you the correct equipment for the job at a good price! and will give you the advice you need from the proper aspect! (they also have loads of cool tools too!:))

Alternatively For £60 you could get a machine polisher off ebay (£35-40), a tube of G3 (£8-10)and a couple of compounding heads for said machine (£6 each!) and do it your self with ease (and some expert guidance!;) )

hope that helps you a bit matey!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Timmo,

I think you need to come to the CCC this summer and spend the day before at mine in exhange for B & B :D

Mike P.
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

hahahah! this could be a plan!!!

in seriousness i will do my best to get to the ccc meet and have a coupleof places to stay enroute! (Wells and Worcester) but no reason why i cant load the car up with gear and do it on the day!!! 8) after all, mine will be dirty by the time i have started it lol!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

What i really really want is to LEARN how to do it, and i guess its one of those things where thoery is all very well and good but no measure for being taught and actually doing it!

You know i'd love to visit Timmo but i havent been in that nec of the woods since family holidays in the early 90's, and while i'm keen to get some miles onto the valver once its going, thats a lot fo enthusiastic fuel!

But the thoughts you've provided here are very useful! Everything i read about mopping the car only explains the principles and never the details (like how much to use!) i guess its soft to give away trade secrets :D but these words are very useful.

Just need to get it washed and post some pictures and you can all laugh at the terrible pink car :D
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Vanny, your best bet, and i say this to everyone who starts playing with machine polishing is to get a couple of scrap pannels for a bodyshop (they normally junk them after replacing!) and practice 'How not to do it'! by burning through on panel edges and putting too much pressure on the polisher head etc. then you'll soon learn the correct way!

Its not that difficult to do after all the saxo owners club have done a group buy on Porter Cable machine polishers (a soft version of a rotory polisher) and now there arre dozens of people on there who have 'all the gear No idea'! but thats the way the 'detailers' have it!but if saxo owners can do it anyone can!!!:D but perfecting the art of it to a manor of which you can earn good money takes some practice!
I am more than happy to help you in anyway with machining or hand polishing etc and can send you some links of what to look for if you want,

I know what you mean about the distance and the cost of fuel alone would be plain stupid Just for a car clean lol! trhats why we use the wifes Fiat on runs instead of the ol' Girl!! (10mpg more on a run cant be sniffed at!!)
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!