Cambelt change, what else should be done at the same time??

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Cambelt change, what else should be done at the same time??

Post by Daniel B »

Hi guys,

A post for my cousin rather than myself.

he's having his camblet changed on his 16V. and wants to know if there are any other vital parts that should be done at the same time??

Cheers

Dan
martyn
3000 rpm

Post by martyn »

Hi Dan, unless you've got some reliable history I'd add tensioners & water pump to the shopping list. Belt, tensioners & w/pump from GSF will only be £100 and it'll probably cost that much just to change the w/pump a few thousand miles down the road.

Martyn
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Watcha mate :D

Depends what has previously been done and how long ago really. If the tensioners & water pump were done last time then they may not need doing on this occasion. If it was more than 5 years ago you might want the water pump replacing as a precaution anyway as I know the car's been sat around a lot in that time.

Who's doing the belt? If it's John or Pete then just ask them to be 100% sure that all components are good for the expected life of the belt and if in doubt change.

How is Owen's car these days? Still running the TBs I presume?

Edit: D'oh! Will teach me to take so long to finish writing what I started!

Speak soon

Adrian
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Yup, defo water pump and tensioners depending when they were last done,
tensioners are good if they can spin freely with no noises etc if its a diy job! (not that difficault a job to do!)
Also!! if the tensioners are held in with the original allen bolts, get them replaced with some std 1/2"/13mm ones! alot easier to get a spanner in than an alaln key!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

i'd replace the bolts for the tensioners as well why you can still get them! only 68p each from citroen, other than that agree as was said about water pump and tensioners!
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

Whilst he's got access to it, get him to check that plastic manifold that bolts on the outside of the engine way out the back.
It has one port blanked off and seems prone to both getting brittle and also getting oil contamination on it which perishes the blank off in particular, causing it to swell under pressure and the clip to cut through it.
As a stand alone job, it's a ******** of thing to do with some DIYers reckoning it has taken a day trying to do it in situ.
It's a disaster waiting to happen in many cases. :wink:

Alan S
martyn
3000 rpm

Post by martyn »

Good call Alan and they're still available from Citroen at around £15, or they were about a year ago.