Fitting twin fans to 16v

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
BrianK
Tick Over

Fitting twin fans to 16v

Post by BrianK »

I thought it would be a good idea to fit twin fans a la turbo diesel to my 16v. I took the fans off a turbo diesel (at Tescos car park, hope the owner doesn't mind) and lo and behold they're 9 blades and bigger in diameter than my 5 blade one. The motor fits on my frame though. I suppose I could go round the fan with a hacksaw shortening all the blades, but if anyone's got a spare 5 blade fan that would be a more professional job. Also, can anyone tell me if by simply joining the new fan wires to the existing one it will overload anything?
I'm too old for this
prm
Tick Over

Post by prm »

Brian.

Two wiring drawings that may help.

http://download1-1.files-upload.com/200 ... inFans.xps

http://download1-1.files-upload.com/200 ... gMods1.xps

Just disconnect the single fan resistor and install, two BX type 25/30 amp relays, mounted on the vertical inner wheel arch, adjacent to the LHM tank.

A steady hand with an angle grinder, with a rotating fan, may reduce the blade OD. But you could end up with an unbalanced unit, as some fans have clips mounted on one or two of the blades, acting as balance weights.

Also you may have a miss-balance, with air throughput.

Pete M
BrianK
Tick Over

fitting twin fans to 16v

Post by BrianK »

Thanks Pete. I had noticed spring clips/speed nuts in odd places on the various fans I've got, and some sixth sense made me leave them in place! Your links result in 'page unavailable' by the way.
As modifying fan blades ain't on, has anyone out there got a 5-blade they want to sell/swop ?
I'm too old for this
prm
Tick Over

Post by prm »

Last edited by prm on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I made a post describing 2nd fan fitment, a quick search on this site should find it.

The only difference is the fan blade diameter.

You could cut down the blades, but don't use an angle grinder to cut plastic. you will melt the plastic and a shower of hot molten plastic may hit you in the face.

It happened to me once. :oops:

the problem might be balancing the blades as suggested.

but if you mark the blades carefully with a compass before you cut, you will may find all is OK.
BrianK
Tick Over

fitting twin fans to 16v

Post by BrianK »

Bingo ! Today I found a twin fan array at a warehouse full of Citroen/Peugeot bits in Tetbury. Written on it in yellow was 'BX 16V air con'. I now need to look at the wiring. PS I haven't got air con.
I'm too old for this
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

If you had air con, you would already have 2 fans.

to wire in 2nd fan:

wire the new fan in parallel with existing fan.

wire a second low speed dropper resistor in parallel with the existing resistor.

job done.

both fans now spin at the correct low speed when engine is hot, and both spin at high speed when engine is very hot.

Mike

Engine temp should now sit constantly at 90 degrees, unless your rad or thermostat are faulty.

Mike
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

I fitted a second fan to mine.
But I made a whole new loom (actually my dad did, since he knows what he's doing with electrics!), they now work independant of the ignition.

Can't believe the wiring would take kindly to having to fire two fans, thereby doubling the required currant??
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1971 BL 350FG Ambulance (unique)
1993 Dennis Lance 132
That's when I reach for my Revolver
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Surprisingly enough, the wiring is fine for 2 fans.

This is strange considering the headlamp wiring is not adequate for two headlamps!

2 fans on full speed will probably never happen anyway, as two low speed fans are very effective.

Mike
Jezziebx16v

Post by Jezziebx16v »

Strange really, I have twin fans and have NEVER heard them come on in the time I've had the car, at what point on the temp gauge should the come on? mine never gets above 90'C

Jez
Past 16v's: 89 Ph1 Black, 90 Ph2 Grey, 89 Ph2 Black, 91 Ph2 Grey, 91 Ph2 Black.

Now. 94 Datsun Silvia S14 rice rocket, 85 Peugeot 505 Turbo, 77 Ford Capri.
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I expect your fans are working just fine if you are holding a steady 90 degress.

The fans are quite quiet at low speed, you may simply have not heard then from in the cabin.

I would be very surprised if they never came on at all-these engines do heat up very quickly.

In warm weather my fans are usually running when I get home, as I charge up the hill.

Mike
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

Mike E (uk) wrote:This is strange considering the headlamp wiring is not adequate for two headlamps!

2 fans on full speed will probably never happen anyway, as two low speed fans are very effective.

Mike
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You gota love the french eh!!

My fans only run high speed, I did away with the low speed altogether, they keep things under control very effectively that way, and it's fun watching old people and street furniture being sucked off the street when they come in!!
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1993 Dennis Lance 132
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The fans on Citroens have two speeds to reduce 'thermal shock'.
With alloy engines in particular, it is important to not have a sudden rush of colder coolant meeting a hot engine. So maybe its not a good idea to get rid of the lower fan speed?

Afterall Citroen would't go to the extra expense of a resistor/wiring/sensor if they weren't needed. I wouldn't bother with an extra fan unless I was towing or the fan regularly went to full speed.
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

You make a very valid point, but I cant say I've had any problems with the set up I'm running now. I ditched the 2 stage switch so the fans come on at an early stage anyway and never stay on long due to the volume of output.
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1993 Dennis Lance 132