Idle Control Valve

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Simran
4000 rpm

Idle Control Valve

Post by Simran »

Mine has been playing up recently and eliminating it as the problem was discovered by hitting it and it making my stupidly high 2-3000rpm idle drop to normal as the stuck insides turned and closed properly. Ive blocked up the pipes that fed it and came out of it and my car is back to normal with no side effects, so its left me thinking, what is the point of this stupidly expensive valve when the car runs perfectly without it? Im addicted to my car again after suffering a loss of power due to this bloody thing leaking air and making my mixture lean. The car now pulls hard everywhere without it like it should, if you have a duff one, get rid of it :lol:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

if its cold outside the Valve gives more air, thus having steady REV at 1100 when engine cold and outside temp say...5 degrees C.
Also if under .accel. then you release gas pedal the REVs drop smoothly from 1500 do 900, not sudden drop to 900.
so there is point in having it fixed. Or you will have trouble in winter :))

p.s. the new valve from Citroen costs 'arm and leg' :((
200 EUR for mine.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

i've read (possibly not here) that the solution is to fill them with WD40, settle then shake the WD40 out of them. Done the same to mine, certainly pulled a lot of dirt out of it, don't know if it acutally made any difference as the car aint running!

What did you do with the connector, just disconnect it?
Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

yeh, just left it off. I have noticed the revs fall quickly after you back off but for now it works fine and is a good way to keep my car running untill i can find a replacement, buy a new one or take an old one apart and have a look-see inside as the barrel turns freely on mine, yet still manages to stick?!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I tried to open mine but no luck. Its closed with very hard 'pins' and almost impossible (for me) to open it without breaking the cage.
These things fu** up with time because of the oil vapours from the sump that go back into the inlet manifold. Thats why i am putting an oil catcher at least to lower the oil vapours a bit. Dont want to change my Valve soon :)) with that crazy price.
Good luck