Major running problems on the XU9J4!

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
kriskarrera
Tick Over

Post by kriskarrera »

Oh ok Alan, you're probably right. Even so it's a silly design isn't it!
XU9J4 4ever
kriskarrera
Tick Over

Post by kriskarrera »

Still arsing about gathering parts to try but I would just like to add:

Kangeroo'd again today once it got up to temperature. Very violently like I'm jumping on and off throttle.
But as soon as I put foot to floor it stopped.

This is very intermittant in nature - must have been a week ago it last happened.

Runs ok on wide open throttle - what does that tell anyone?? (That I should drive like a maniac everywhere?)
XU9J4 4ever
RobC
3000 rpm

Post by RobC »

fuel filter or maybe tired fuel pump?

when my fuel filter was blocked i had similar symptoms, especially when the tank was running out.

rather bizarrely i think, fuel filters on these machines are given something like a 70,000 mile service interval. which seems way too much.
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

70 k intervals was fine when they were doing 30 k a year as repmobiles, just not so great when they sit around with us tightwads sticking half a gallon in here and there and jeryy cans full of shite :lol:
kriskarrera
Tick Over

Post by kriskarrera »

Well, the other week when it cut out again the ECU light came on just before it died so when I got it back home I did a fault code check and got #33, which is the afm. So I swapped that with my spare one and so far no cutting out but the old gal is still slow to start when warm and jumpy.
XU9J4 4ever
Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

This is probably a silly question as i think it has been covered before on here, but what did you use to do the fault code check and how much are they/where can i buy one? Sounds like it would be very useful to me right now.
kriskarrera
Tick Over

Post by kriskarrera »

Simran wrote:This is probably a silly question as i think it has been covered before on here, but what did you use to do the fault code check and how much are they/where can i buy one? Sounds like it would be very useful to me right now.
2 bits of wire! See here: http://forum.405mi16.com/index.php?showtopic=969&hl=#
XU9J4 4ever
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

just put pin2 of the diagnostic connector to "Ground (minus)" when ignition is "ON" but no started engine... this for 2 seconds then remove "Ground" that will start test procedure.
Then see the blinks and count and again "ground" until u get the "end sequence blinks" :)

then check for errror code in table for the mistake if any.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hey kris,
ive not been reading this thread all the way through but have you checked the ecu coolant sensor?

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
kriskarrera
Tick Over

Post by kriskarrera »

thanuttiscotsman wrote:hey kris,
ive not been reading this thread all the way through but have you checked the ecu coolant sensor?

rossco
Can't remember really butI recall that a few years ago I bought a new one and it's resistances matched the one on there so I took it back lol. Naughty. But actually the connector isn't that great any more, could do with replacing it really. Might buy a new connector.
XU9J4 4ever
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

hey chris,
you canstill buy these from pugeot they are £13. i got one for mine a few months back.

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

hey chris, by the way have u checked the ecu itself? that turned out was my 2 yr running probs was ecu water damaged and rusted inside.

rossco

kriskarrera
Tick Over

Post by kriskarrera »

What the sensor itself is £13? I thought it was more than that? Or maybe it's cheaper at Citroen?
Opened ecu, water had gotten in at some point but it was dry as a bone when I looked at it. Crazy having it in the wheel arch on the 405.
XU9J4 4ever
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

if youve had water ingress at some point in the past, it may be worth swapping it for a different one, it may be dry no but could have an intermitant fault thats being caused by the previous damage!?!?!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
kriskarrera
Tick Over

Post by kriskarrera »

Well yes that's a good idea though putting on another AFM seems to have cured the stalling problem. All that's left is the misfiring feeling coming on and off throttle and the awful warm start.
XU9J4 4ever