Getting On!

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Julek

Getting On!

Post by Julek »

Thought it was time to share my special speedometer reading with you all, I took this photo back in September 2007 whilst leaving Berlin. Please note the odometer is in km not miles.

Note the extra mile dial to conform with British law.

The German text on the rear window says "BX one of the best cars in the world"

Car is actually an Austrian sold Phase 2 model which brings its own misfortunes, testing sockets and abs leads among others do not match with those in other countries.
The Phase 1 hoop spoiler (coming from my previous 8v GTi which covered 370000 Km from new in 7 years) was fitted for 2 reasons - Citroen Germany told me that the std Phase 2 spoiler would not pass for registration (I do not know if this is actually true) and since I do a lot of long drives it helps me judge rear distances at night.

Good Vibes to All
Julek
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

thats a cracking milage matey! top marks to you!!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi there,
yeah thats some collection of k's lol. ive only seen that many miles on a public bus before lol. but good to see its still going strong. :D

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Bloody hell thats over quater of a million miles isnt it? whats been done to the engine?
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

285.493.1 Miles tim! so yup, over 1/4 million miles!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Julek

Post by Julek »

To answer the kind question - it's a second engine, the first one was replaced at 280,000K's when I bought a second 16v in Austria for parts with 170,000 k's on it. (Far too few of those parts actually survived, but you live and learn...)

I bought the car 11 years ago with 74,000 kms on the clock. It's had some amazingly bad phases: 5 starters in 6 weeks, or , in another year, 4 alternator belts in 12 months.(Yes I do have air-con still fitted). It's on it's third outlet manifold ( one I got from Luke!, cheers....)

I HOPE I can run it to 500,000 and then do it up properly.

At the moment:one of the pins on the fanbelt switch rusted off. Solution: GSF. At the moment the switch been bridged so the fans run continually as soon as the ignition's on.

The rear window heater switch on the dashboard faulted. Solution: breakers yard in Normandy

Lot of water coming in on one side and under the rear seat. Proposed solution: change the door seals. Proposed solution 2:wait to see if thetops of the rear doors get wet - then it'll be the rear water clearance pipes from the sunroof that are blocked/faulty.

ABS light on - loom fault.

This started today:

Engine won't idle properly when hot. I don't think it's the idle valve this time (that came from Kitch, with thanks) since I washed it out in Birmingham at lunchtime and that didn't help (I'm in London now). This started today so I'll have a look tomorrow...Bad because I'm due to drive to France on Monday night and I don't want to be stuck dockside without getting on the ferry in Portsmouth....

so nobody said it had to be easy.....

thanks,

Julek
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Hi Julek. Glad to see the car is still giving good service!

Your leak is much more likely to be the sunroof drain pipes than the door rubbers (although with nigh-on 300k miles on it maybe the seals are a bit limp too :lol: ) I had a similar thing last year; took the rear lamps off and blew into the end of the drain pipes as hard as a good. Couple of gargles later some crud and filthy water came gushing out (all over me). Since then, no leaks.

As far as the idle goes, you have one of the spare idle valves I had when I had a stock as I was convinced it was what was causing my car to idle badly when hot. Turned out that the throttle positioning sensor needed adjusting (although they often need changing.) I actually had this problem last year too, and all that was needed to cure it was a tweak of the mixture screw, as the previous MOT had set the mixture weak in an attempt to get it to pass the emissions (I still don't think it did....they rigged up a Mondeo instead!)

Hope that helps mate :)